View Single Post
Old May 24, 2010, 02:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
You're welcome! If you study every day and USE everything you learn, it will be easier and easier. (One of the reasons my French is so rusty nowadays it's because I have not used it too much lately...) (Our high-school professors used to tell us to "listen to the French Radio", listen to songs... etc. which is very good once you have your basic 'footing' on the language...) Long ago I spent a bit more than one month in Paris... and the first week, my communication was pretty shaky, but the last 3 weeks were just an awesome feeling of being able to understand and to communicate... One person though, told me, "You are from the South of France, right? You have a bit of a Southern accent..." "Mais oui! (of course)" --I said-- "I am from the South-South!" When I did Arabic, (I barely remember now the Alifat, the Arabic 'alphabet'...) (Alif is the first letter of their alphabet), the professor said, "Go ahead and buy some Arabic newspaper and start practicing..." (That was too steep of a gradient for me... not having a basic grasp of that tongue... so I only know "Good morning" and "Good night" and with a bad Spanish accent... )
Anyhow, yes, when you know Spanish pretty well, the other Romance Languages (French, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Sardinian, Ladino, Provençal...) are relatively easy to understand and to learn how to use. I'd recommend to get Spanish really well and solidly, and then once you feel really confident with it, you will see these other languages (bar the French irregular verbs! ! ) are rather "a piece of cake". Although I might say my "Italian" is pronounced with a heavy hint of Spanish/Castilian accent, I can understand and be understood rather well... Like in every language though, when you think you know a lot, you have to realize too that there are "false friends" or "false cognates" in the most unlikely places... so you should always be aware and use your common sense...
At any rate, I'm glad my tips are useful to you. Always study with a purpose, ie., when you learn a new word, think of contexts where you can use the word, see how you'd use in your native tongue... I sometimes do [make up examples] 15 to 20 sentences of my own until I get a conceptual understanding of that word. But then, that word and its concept [or concepts, as oftentimes, if not always, words are very homonymic and have many different meanings] is totally mine. Enjoy your journey!