View Single Post
Old August 09, 2008, 03:38 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

Over the years, I´ve learnt that in language learning, what works for one person doesn´t neccesarily work for another, so, I always say that every individual should identify how best he or she learns and work with it. Of course, there is always room for discovering better methods and improvement.
Grammar for some people is not the first step towards learning a language, but I´ve come across people who from the beginner´s course never stop asking question about the grammatical structure of every simple sentence. And according to them, it doesn´t make sense to them if they can´t identify and understand the structure.
I do agree with you here. We all try at times to impose our own methods, but I've always said there is no perfect teacher and that it's good for students to have different teachers to get different approaches.
I often tell my students they have to learn to love English their own way, through the things they like, whether those are songs or racing car magazines I don't care. Anything will do.