View Single Post
Old April 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
Ruby

silopanna is on a distinguished road
Rusty and Maria Jose,

I was once told by a teacher from Castilla that, all things said and done, le is for people and lo and la are for things. But this doesn't completely fit in with the grammar that you are exlaining to me.

Now, that teacher could have been fanatic or using some kind of past standard, so my mind is a clean slate at the moment.

But for example, in the sentence "lo masco pero no lo trago", I could say "le" also because Rusty has told me that "le" can be the masculine direct object.

But then in the sentence "la masco pero no la trago" I can't use "le" because le cannot be the feminine pronoun.

But then this isn't what the Castillian teacher told me, she just said that "le" is for people and "lo" and "la" are for things; and I went along my merry way. Now I am hearing something different.

Also, I have just seen in a Latin American dialogue book a sentence that went something like this: "Lo comunico con el seƱor X". The pronoun "lo" is certainly the object of the verb, but it refers to a person.

The monkey wrench for me is that Rusty has said that "le" cannot be a feminine objective pronoun. Otherwise, I could just use "le" for men and women, and "la" and "lo" for things.

Excuse me if I am splitting hairs, but I go on and on with Spanish, and I never got this down pat.

Thanks for the attention,

Dean