View Single Post
Old May 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
—> Un pájaro con un plumaje negro azulado tornasol brillante.
(No commas here, because "azulado", "tornasol" and "brillante" modify another adjective, so they work together like one.)
- I don't understand the sentence structure here. I read this as "a bird with black and blue, bright iridescent plumage." But I don't see what you're saying about the commas ... and what other adjective do "tornasol" and "brillante" modify? I don't even know if I punctuated it correctly in English...

Just a couple of notes:

(Btw, colours tend to be placed right beside the substantive)

● Adjectives of which depends an essential characteristic of the substantive aren't separated from it:

—> Un disco flexible azul
- So, based on your statement just above, could this phrase be equally acceptable as "un azul disco flexible"?

● Sometimes, a substantive placed before an adjective charges the sentence with an ironic sense, but the context will provide the meaning:

—> "El famoso doctor no ha llegado" could either mean that a non-famous doctor has kept us waiting or that we're expecting a really famous one to arrive (to a conference, perhaps).
- This is the use of adjectives that I'm having difficulty wrapping my arms around. How is the sense of meaning different if we say "el doctor famoso no ha llegado" or if we say "el famoso doctor no ha llegado"? Just the sense of irony? But in other situations?
Thanks for pointing me out to this thread, Malila. I'm starting to wrap my arms around this topic. Hopefully I'll get some of these details worked out....