View Single Post
Old July 27, 2009, 01:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
Ok thank you! :-)
Let me try to find the English equivalent to make sure I understood this distinction correctly. If something is not right, kindly correct me

1. The words ' unos' and ' algunos' can be used interchangeably if you have no more specific information about the quantity and/or are saying something in general about it.('Some')

2. Otherwise, of you wish to be more specific and single out a part of this group, you must use 'algunos/algunas' ('Some of the...') to say more about this subgroup, or use 'unos/unas' twice to give more specific information on both subgroups (' Some..., some....').

iiMuchas gracias por explicarlo!!
1. yes
2. Yes, but you can't say "unos/as" twice, but you say "some... and the others...":
Unos cantan, otros bailan
Algunos comen, otros duermen.

Remember, you can use unos/algunos interchangeably. Just remember to use "algunos" if you don't add what the others are doing (being, etc.)

Tengo cien libros, algunos son buenos (if I said "unos son buenos" I should end the sentence: "los otros son malos").
Tengo cinco hermanos, algunos son rubios (unos son rubios, los otros pelirrojos)

Anyway, I'm sure this is not an exam question