View Single Post
Old January 31, 2009, 06:21 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
abbey is on a distinguished road
Quote: Remember that's only helpful for speakers of North American English, because we have what's called the North American flap or North American tap which is an alveolar tap where the tongue taps the alveolar ridge. In other versions of English, they don't use this. For example, when I say "battery", it's 3 syllables (ba-du-ree), but for other speakers, principally of British English, it would be 2 syllables (ba-tree). end quote.
Actually I tried this method after I read it, and I say "better" with the "t" sounding like a "t", not an "r". If it was meant to be sounded as an "r" then it should be spelt with an "r". There is no accounting though, for some areas to distort English. Anyway back to using "better" with a t sound, and then I tried "era" and it works very well. My "r" then sounds just like the spanish "r". Thats great.
Incidentally, I say "battery" exactly as it is spelt. bat-ter-y, and sound the t as a t. I found when I was learning Spanish, it was very consistent with its rules, and everything was pronounced. Even though English does have a lot of weirdly pronounced words, it is a pity to make it worse using "common usage" as an excuse. I admit I will probably be boo-ed down, so please don't bother. This is just my point of view, as everyone is entitled to.