View Single Post
Old May 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Vocabulary from The Catcher in the Rye

I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, and I've found some colloquial expressions I had read before in some novels from the 1950's, but I haven't seen them used in movies or more recent texts, but still I'd like to have some help to know if I'm interpreting these expressions the right way:

a bang —> a pleasurable sensation
crumby —> disgusting
dough —> money
Mac —> Man, fellow
phony —> false, fake
screwballs —> an eccentric person
swell —> great, fantastic
the can —> a lavatory
to be a goner —> someone dead or about to die
to be loaded —> to have much money to spend
to chew the fat —> to talk relaxedly
to give someone a feel —> to caress someone
to horse around —> to joke
to neck —> to kiss, embrace and caress
to shoot the bull/crap —> to lie and exaggerate
to give the time / to give it —> to have sexual intercourse (would this be said only by men?)

And in the next situations, how are those expressions used?

· Someone makes a redundant remark ("that's a deer hunting hat") and the answer is "Like hell it is."
I know there is a rude side for this expression, but what is this "like hell"? Is it some kind of emphatic "of course"?

· The young man narrates about meeting a woman he finds nice and as she takes off her gloves, he says "was she lousy with rocks." I can't really figure out what he means.

· I'm confused about the expression "to haul it in": The narrator talks about his father: "He's a Corporation Lawyer. Those boys really haul it in." I have found that "to haul" is to make profits, mostly illicit ones but "to haul in" is to arrest… how are these two put together?

· The narrator often uses the adjective "old" when he talks about people he has dealt with for long: "I wanted to call old Jane", "old Mrs. Morrow didn't know..."
Is this a common use of "old" or is it also a past fashion?

Thank you, for taking the time to read through.