Thread: Pared
View Single Post
Old September 06, 2008, 06:59 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDanés View Post
I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right, I'm just asking because I'm curious.
What I was thinking when I wrote the post was that "newspapers" are one media, "television-channels" another media, "radio-channels" a third media, thus medias. Or, do one still just talk about them all as one, single mass-media? Although media is technically a plural noun, at least one of the dictionaries I perused says it has also been used as a singular noun since the 1920's. I know I've heard people say "the media is" instead of "the media are." In America, it is VERY common to hear people use the contraction "there's" when it should have been "there're." "There's lots of people " who seem to think that "there's" is THE contraction for "there is" AND "there are." This same thought process seems to be universally applied to all nouns followed by "is" or "are." Thus, "the media's going wild over politics right now," will be heard much more often than "the media are going wild over politics right now." (Admit it, that last phrase sounded pretty awkward. )

I think dubbing ruins movies. It looks so funny when the sound doesn't fit to the movement of the actors mouths. I know it's the same in Germany. Everything - everything is in German, all movies, series, etc. are dubbed. Luckily, it isn't like that here in Denmark. We have the original sound, with subtitles.
I wholeheartedly agree. Dubbed movies are a disgrace. I would much rather hear the original language.

7% is not much. But do you think those people who don't know a foreign language actually want to learn one? I mean, many people think their life's fine, so they can't see why they should learn another language, when they don't have a need for it.
Except for Europe, where a neighboring country has a different tongue, I think most people are happy to speak just one language (there is no need to learn another one, so why do it?). In the United States, unfortunately, many people are actually appalled when a foreign language is spoken in their presence. I, on the other hand, am grateful that I had the opportunity to learn another language (and I haven't been satisfied with knowing only two).