View Single Post
Old December 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
I think Rusty hit on something important, and that is: associate Spanish words with an image of what the word represents instead of associating it with the corresponding word in English. For instance, if you're learning the word caminar, don't associate it with the English word and say to yourself "caminar means to walk". Instead, associate the word caminar with a picture in your mind's eye of a person walking.

Another exercise I used to do is as you go about all your daily activities, narrate what is going on in Spanish. You don't have to speak aloud. Just in your head, start narrating everything that you do, everything that those around you do, in Spanish. Whatever you are thinking in English, try to narrate that in Spanish, so you can train your mind that it's ok to think in Spanish. If you see someone opening a door, you just had a mental thought process that said "he's opening the door". To re-train your mind to think in Spanish, just start talking to yourself and say "él está abriendo la puerta".

Also, keep practicing Spanish at every opportunity you have. The more fluent you become, the more you will start thinking in Spanish. Try to imitate phrases just as native speakers say them. Don't ignore any verb tenses, verb moods, words, or grammatical stuctures just because they are hard and you can get by with something else. If you really want to become fluent, you'll need all of it.