View Single Post
Old July 14, 2014, 10:45 AM
Opal

artistnatural is on a distinguished road
when not to use the gerund

¡Hola a Rusty y todos!

I have rewritten my notes to (I HOPE CORRECTLY) to include your corrections. Thank you very much for your help

DoUse the gerundio: mirando, viajando, escribiendo, and so on
...when constructing progressives (use estar + gerundio)

01> I am watching him. Estoy mirándolo, (implies right now - present progressive)
02> I have been speaking. He estado hablando.
03> I was traveling. Estaba viajando, (implies still currently traveling -past progressive)
04> I was traveling. Estuve viajando, (implies not currently traveling -past progressive)
05> I will be traveling. Estaré viajando, (-future progressive)
06> I would be watching him. Estaría mirándolo, (-conditional progressive)

Do NOT use the gerundiooutside of the progrssives (recast to use the infinitive instead) . Recasting the sentence allows the use of the infinitive, as a close equivalent to the English gerund.

07> I like dancing, (recast asI like to dance or It is pleasing to me to dance), Me gusta bailar.
08> We are eating at 7, (recast as We eat at 7), Nosotros comemos a las siete.
09> Seeing is believing, (recast as To see is to believe), Ver es creer.

10> Speaking Spanish is fun, (recast as To speak Spanish is fun), Hablar español es divertido.
11> I like eating. (recast as It is pleasing to me to eat), Me gusta comer.
12> I bought the running shoes. (recast as I bought the shoes to run), Compré los zapatos de correr.
13> She has a man-eating tiger. (She has a tiger that eats men), Ella tiene un tigre que come hombres.

Note:
In English, the gerund can be used as an adjective. Not so in Spanish. You use the prepositional phrase with an infinitive as its object.
I hope the above indicates my understanding of what you wrote me