Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Una derrota muy Cruel (Help with Translation)

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Opal

Blackcatfever is on a distinguished road
Una derrota muy Cruel (Help with Translation)

I need to know if I correctly translated the text from Spanish to English. There are some expressions in spanish that I have a hard time with. I appreciate any help that you can give.

El adelanto de la pubertad, esa etapa en la que las hormonas entran en ebullición para poner a punto el desarrollo sexual en los chicos, suele ser más común entre las chicas. Sin embargo, el mecanismo por el que este acontecimiento de anticipa sigue siendo, en la mayoría de los casos, un enigma para la ciencia.

"Las niñas son las más afectadas por la pubertad precoz. Pero en el 70% de los casos se debe a causas desconocidas, aunque sabemos que las razones ocurren debido a procesos que se inician en el cerebro", explicó a LA NACION el doctor Sergio Ojeda, director de la División Neurociencias del Centro Nacional de Investigación en Primates de Oregon, un instituto en los Estados Unidos afiliado a la Universidad de Salud y Ciencia de Oregon.
De visita en nuestro país para asistir al simposio internacional "Adrenarca y pubertad humana", que finalizó ayer en esta ciudad, Ojeda disertó sobre su tema de investigación desde hace 33 años: cómo actúan las neuronas que disparan la pubertad y cómo se comunican entre sí.

"En cambio, en el varón, la mayoría de los casos de pubertad precoz ocurre por lesiones cerebrales que se pueden distinguir, como los traumatismos, los tumores, las radiaciones o los quistes –comparó–. En las niñas, la mayor cantidad de los casos debe tener una explicación genética, ya que hay genes que se activan prematuramente por razones que no entendemos. Ahora, ¿cuáles son esos genes? Eso es lo que queremos saber."

The advancement of puberty, the stage where the hormones come to a boil to tune sexual development in boys is usually more common amongst girls. However, the mechanism by which this expected event is still, in most cases, an enigma to science.

"Girls are the most affected by precocious puberty. But in 70% of cases are due to unknown causes, although we know that the reasons occur due to processes that are initiated in the brain," explained Dr. Sergio NATION Ojeda, director of the Division of Neuroscience National Center of Oregon Primate Research, an institute in the United States affiliated with the University of Oregon Health and Science.

On a visit to our country to attend the international symposium "human adrenarche and puberty", which ended yesterday in this city, Ojeda gave a presentation his research of 33 years: How do neurons that trigger puberty act and how they communicate with each other .

"Instead, males, the majority of the precocious puberty cases occur from brain injury can be distinguished, such as trauma, tumors, radiation or cysts-compared. In girls, the largest number of cases must have a genetic explanation, as there are genes that are activated prematurely for reasons we do not understand. Now, what are these genes? That's what we want to know. "

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Cuéntanos qué partes son las que representan dificultades.
Old April 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
Opal

De visita en nuestro país para asistir al simposio internacional "Adrenarca y pubertad humana", que finalizó ayer en esta ciudad, Ojeda disertó sobre su tema de investigación desde hace 33 años: cómo actúan las neuronas que disparan la pubertad y cómo se comunican entre sí.

On a visit to our country to attend the international symposium "human adrenarche and puberty", which ended yesterday in this city, Ojeda gave a presentation his research of 33 years: How do neurons that trigger puberty act and how they communicate with each other .

"En cambio, en el varón, la mayoría de los casos de pubertad precoz ocurre por lesiones cerebrales que se pueden distinguir, como los traumatismos, los tumores, las radiaciones o los quistes –comparó–.

"Instead, males, the majority of the precocious puberty cases occur from brain injury can be distinguished, such as trauma, tumors, radiation or cysts-compared.

Estos son los que me hizo mas complicado. Gracias por la ayuda.

Si encuentras algo mal de otras partes por favor avísame, porque a veces no veo los errores.

Last edited by Rusty; April 26, 2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old April 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
Diamond

¿Cuál es tu lengua materna?

Hay problemas también con el original de La Nación, pues la persona que escribe parece no entender del tema, o un ayudante de edición comprimió el artículo.

Donde pones "radiation" corresponde "irradiation". La Nación es el nombre de un diario tradicional de Buenos Aires. Ese nombre no se traduce. ¿Por qué piensas que "explicó a LA NACION el doctor Sergio Ojeda" se traduce como "explained Dr. Sergio NATION Ojeda" (SIC)? Eso se parece más a los típicos errores de traducción por software.

Tienes que enfocar más tus preguntas pues no podemos en este sitio hacer corrección general de textos, a menos que vayas presentando tus nuevas versiones con las correcciones incorporadas.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Opal

English is my first language. So I have problems with expressions in Spanish and that´s why I wanted to post my translation on here. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Also, I am not publishing anything, it´s a translation due for class. My professor is really picky so I just wanted another opinion to make sure that I translate it correct. I did use an online translator for some of it, because it allows me to see the word options and because it picks up some of the phrases. I must of overlooked the "LA NACION". Thank you for your help. Here are the corrections that I made below I rearranged the order of some of it because it sounded better to me. I also change La NACION as well....Thank you

The onset of puberty, the stage where the hormones come to a boil to tune sexual development in boys is usually more common amongst girls. However, the mechanism that is responsible for this expected event is still, in most cases, a Mystery of science.

Dr. Sergio, the director of the Division of Neuroscience National Center of Oregon Primate Research (An institute in the United State affiliated with the University of Oregon Health and Science) explained to LA NACION, "Girls are the most affected by precocious puberty. But in 70% of cases are due to unknown causes, although we know that the reasons occur due to processes that are initiated in the brain,"

While visiting our country to attend the international symposium "human adrenarche and puberty", which ended yesterday in this city, Ojeda gave a presentation of his research of 33 years: How do neurons that trigger puberty act and how they communicate with each other .
Old April 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
Diamond

OK. As Spanish is my native language, I only can make a few suggestions without any certainty about the English. Your last text is much better. I suggest to translate "disertó" as "he lectured" as it was less than a presentation and more of a master class. Also "a mystery of science" sounds odd to me; I suggest "a scientific mystery".

There's also the "footprint" of the translation software in the structure of sentences, which preserves the original in Spanish, sounding a bit unnatural to my developing English ear. For instance, your "while visiting ..." sounds much more natural than your previous choice.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
Opal

aleCcowaN Muchas gracias por todo la ayuda. Has tomado mucho tiempo en ayudarme y has sido muy amable. Gracias

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: