Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Tratar de = to be about

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old February 04, 2009, 02:16 PM
Pearl

hola is on a distinguished road
Tratar de = to be about

ese libro me gusta porque trata de temas taurinos.

first off i thought ESTA meant THIS.
second it looks like she is saying THIS BOOK I LIKE BECAUSE IT TRIES FEARING BULLS. but i never knew that TRATAR DE had a hidden meaning. i always thought it meant TO TRY. but it also means TO BE ABOUT. up until now i thought there were only 2 words for ABOUT: ACERCA DE and SOBRE. now there are 3 words for ABOUT. this is what can make spanish frustrating at times. you almost have to know all the meanings of a verb or the sentence will confuse you. you will not know what the sentence is saying. so you really have to make sure the verb has only 1 definition or learn all of the definitions of the word. there are a ton of spanish words that have hidden definitions.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 04, 2009, 02:36 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
You talking about the verbs?

Estar- are
Esto- this
Ser or estar- be.

I'm not sure if you are talking about above the verbs or if you need know something about of the verbs in kind of time verb.
Old February 04, 2009, 03:11 PM
Pearl

no i was talking about the word TRATAR DE
Old February 04, 2009, 04:10 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
literacola is on a distinguished road
I like that book because it is about the subject of bullfighting
Old February 04, 2009, 04:27 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Litercola provided a correct translation of the sentence you wrote.

There are several ways to say about in Spanish besides the ones you mentioned. Even the word de, by itself, can be translated as about:
¿De qué hablan? = What are you talking about?

Don't worry, someone trying to English is just as troubled by all the different ways we can say things, too.

By the way, the verbal phrase tratar de has other translations, one of which is to deal with. So, it's also possible to translate your sentence as:
I like that book because it deals with bullfighting.

And, there is another way to say tratar de in Spanish. The idiomatic expression tener que ver con means exactly the same thing (to have to do with, or to deal with, or to be about). So, we could rewrite a part of your sentence and still get the same translation, just like we can say it three (or more) different ways in English:
Ese libro me gusta porque tiene que ver con temas taurinos.

ese = that (masculine demonstrative pronoun)
este = this (masculine demonstrative pronoun)
esa = that (feminine demonstrative pronoun)
esta = this (feminine demonstrative pronoun)

Last edited by Rusty; February 04, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old February 04, 2009, 05:22 PM
Pearl

Rusty I'm glad you broke down those demonstrative pronouns. While crotalito said that ESTO means THIS, I can clearly remember a conversation I was having on the street with a Puerto Rican woman who told me, and reiterated, that ESTA means this. But thank you for finally breaking it down. It is often difficult to know when to use which of those demonstrative pronouns.

Also, does anyone know why she used the word TEMAS. I looked up the word TEMAS and found out it's from the word TEMER which means AFRAID. When I looked up the word TEMA (without the "S") I found out that means SUBJECT. So, did she make an error by adding the "S" to the word TEMA or am I missing something?

Last edited by hola; February 04, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old February 04, 2009, 05:44 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Esto also means this. That is the neuter form, used when the gender is not known or if the noun it stands for is an abstract.

tema = subject
temas = subjects, but can be interpreted in the singular when it is followed by an adjective that clarifies the subject. Notice I left out the word subject entirely. This is also a proper translation of temas taurinos.
Old February 04, 2009, 10:08 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hola, I know, you are trying to say with the word Temas or Tema, I would use the word Tema as thread here at the forum, and also I would use the Temas to say sundry threads created for me, for you can use the word as Tema, for example, you don't fear me, (No me temas), then, If you are very smart, then you can use the word of the way you want, besides the word Temas and Tema is generalize in sundries sentences made in books and idioms, well, I hope you have understand me everything.
Old February 04, 2009, 11:14 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola View Post
ese libro me gusta porque trata de temas taurinos.

first off i thought ESTA meant THIS.
second it looks like she is saying THIS BOOK I LIKE BECAUSE IT TRIES FEARING BULLS. but i never knew that TRATAR DE had a hidden meaning. i always thought it meant TO TRY. but it also means TO BE ABOUT. up until now i thought there were only 2 words for about: ACERCA DE and SOBRE. now there are 3 words for ABOUT. this is what can make spanish frustrating at times. you almost have to know all the meanings of a verb or the sentence will confuse you. you will not know what the sentence is saying. so you really have to make sure the verb has only 1 definition or learn all of the definitions of the word. there are a ton of spanish words that have hidden definitions.
Tratarse de means to be about or deals with. Tratar de means to try to.
Temas taurinos means bullfighting themes. You are right Spanish has all
kinds of hidden meanings, but so does English. Language isn't simple. It's
a reflection of humanity, and humanity is complicated. If you think about it, it's nice to know there are different ways of saying things. You shouldn't get frustrated. Be patient with it; it will come to you.
Old February 05, 2009, 12:05 AM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
tratar de = to try, to attempt

tratar de (Spain), tratarse de (Lat. America) = to be about, to deal with, to be about the subject of

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: