Hacer Pregunta

Crear un tema
Retroceder   Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español > Los idiomas inglés y español > El vocabulario > Modismos y Dichos
Registrarse Ayuda Comunidad Calendario Temas de Hoy Buscar PenpalsTraductor

Within spitting distance

Un modismo es cualquier frase cuya significado no es fácil de entender basándose en sus palabras individuales. Este foro es el lugar para cualquier pregunta sobre modismos o cualquier otro dicho.

Respuesta

Herramientas Desplegado
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 05:29 AM
aleCcowaN aleCcowaN no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Within spitting distance

I'd like to ask what distance may have speakers in mind when they say "within spitting distance" as I've just heard it in last episode of BBC's Escape to the Country when the would-be escapees told that they'd like to move to Saint Ives' area, Cambridgeshire, because it's "within spitting distance" of the sea (which is not closer than 20 miles).

So, isn't it a bit of a stretch to say "within spitting distance" for such a distance? or is it common use? I have a hard time imagining anything but a Dicke Bertha spitting that way.

By the way, the Spanish expressions "a tiro de piedra", "...de flecha", "...de lanza", "... de jabalina" are used with distances, at most a 20 minute walk. Sometimes other creative expressions like "a tiro de rifle" or even "a tiro de obús" are used for distances that are a bit more (or more than a bit more) than "a tiro de flecha".

Quita esta publicidad al registrarte con una cuenta gratuita en Tomísimo.
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
Rusty Rusty no está en línea
Señor Speedy

Primera Lengua: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
To me, 'within spitting distance' (or 'within striking distance') means 'not very far away'. Your next-door neighbor is within spitting distance. (If you're not on good terms, they're withing striking distance. )

"A stone's throw" (or "a stone's cast") is farther away than spitting distance, of course.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Perikles Perikles no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por Rusty Ver Mensaje
"A stone's throw" (or "a stone's cast") is farther away than spitting distance, of course.
Yes, used literally it is. But I think that when used hyperbolically as in Alec's example, I would take "spitting distance" and "a stone's throw" as indistiguishable, both being vague and meaning conveniently near.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
wrholt wrholt no está en línea
Sapphire

Primera Lengua: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por Perikles Ver Mensaje
Yes, used literally it is. But I think that when used hyperbolically as in Alec's example, I would take "spitting distance" and "a stone's throw" as indistiguishable, both being vague and meaning conveniently near.
Yes, conveniently near, as compared to some reference point. Comparing anywhere in Kansas to anywhere within 20 miles of the ocean, less than 20 miles from the coast is "within spitting distance". In the beach resort town where my mother and siblings live, "within spitting distance" is less than 100 yards(meters) from the end of the pavement on the back side of the dune. And among the 5 houses within that 100 yards, only the houses whose lots front on the dune is "within spitting distance".
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thomas Thomas no está en línea
Opal

Thomas is on a distinguished road
Love your humor, Rusty.

Don't forget "a whoop and a holler". In Nicaragua, everything is "a la vueltecita". It could be around the corner or100 km away. Under my breath I started saying "a la vueltecita de tu madre."
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo January 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
pjt33 pjt33 no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Cita:
Escrito originalmente por aleCcowaN Ver Mensaje
I'd like to ask what distance may have might speakers have in mind when they say "within spitting distance" as I've just heard it in the last episode of BBC's Escape to the Country when the would-be escapees told said that they'd like to move to Saint Ives' area, Cambridgeshire, because it's "within spitting distance" of the sea (which is not closer than 20 miles).
More like about 35 miles away, which is close to half the greatest distance it's possible to be from the sea in Great Britain. The only explanation which I find plausible is that the escapees are ignorant of the geography.
Responder Con Cita
Antiguo January 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
aleCcowaN aleCcowaN no está en línea
Diamond

Primera Lengua: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Thank you all.

So it was a bit of a stretch -probably, a hyperbolic use- as they were willing to move at most to that part of Norfolk close to Cambridgeshire, still many miles away from the sea shore.
Antiguo January 24, 2012, 02:18 PM
Awaken Awaken no está en línea
Pearl

Awaken is on a distinguished road
As was pointed out it is all relative. In general, it is more common to hear within spitting distance to mean pretty close (measured in feet, not miles).

As wrholt pointed out, it is really just relative to how the person feels about it. My family all say I live next to the ocean. In that case "next" is 10 miles away. To them it is next to the ocean since they lives hundreds of miles away. Of course no one in Tampa would say I live "next" to the ocean.
Responder Con Cita
Respuesta

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 

Normas de Publicación