Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Listening comprehension not improving

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 29, 2014, 06:35 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
SteveB is on a distinguished road
Listening comprehension not improving

I have been learning Spanish for a while now and i really enjoy it. I try to use many different methods to saturate my life with it as much as i can as i don't live in a Spanish speaking country (London)
My speaking has improved very well, i know a fair bit of vocabulary to express myself and ask questions, i think this is due to Michel Thomas and i have a regular language exchange via skype.
My writing and reading is better than it was due to the duolingo app, bi-lingual books and reading things online.
But.......my listening comprehension is terrible! It has improved slightly from when i started but at times i cant understand anything! I use a really helpful podcast called 'Notes in Spanish' which has helped slightly. Villa was very helpful recommending telenovelas to watch but when i watch them i often don't even understand the context.
I have a few Spanish language movies which i have watched with the subtitles on and still i don't understand them, either they aren't clear or use words i have never heard of.
I have had a few embarrassing moments when i have had to speak to someone only to speak very well but not understand a word of the reply

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips? Its really starting to ruin my learning experience and makes me want to give up at times

HELP!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: