Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Question on conjugation and use of se, le and la

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 04, 2021, 01:04 AM
Opal

Tony123 is on a distinguished road
Question on conjugation and use of se, le and la

Hello there. I’m looking for some guidance on what I need to study to get my head around the use of se, le and el/la.
This sentence, for example: “Se le tomaron las huellas y se la dejó ir a casa.”
In the phrase “se le tomaron las huellas” - I don’t know what the “se” represents. Does it mean “them”? I.e. if I was reading this in English would it translate to “they took them (se) from her (le), the fingerprints” If I was trying to say this myself I would have said “tomaron sus huellas” or “tomaron las huellas de ella”.
In the second part of the sentence “se la dejó ir a casa”, I have no idea what “se” represents. I would have written it as “la dejó ir a casa”. In fact I wold have written it as “le dejó ir a casa”. That is the second part of my question. When and where should I represent a person as le (as with the first part of the sentence) versus when should I use el/la (as with the second part)? I would really be grateful for someone to help me understand this better! Even if just to direct me to a useful resource. I’m sorry if I’m using the wrong terminology.

Tags
direct object, grammar, indirect object

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: