Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

I dare you

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old September 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
Pearl

LearningSpanish is on a distinguished road
ok gracias

@ Ale - I don't think we're thinking the same things here, to me 'I dare you to' is more about fun than doing something wrong or violent. in my mind I was picturing two kids on the side of a pool and the water is cold, they both want to swim but it's soooo cold - so one says to the other, jump in, I dare you. He says it because he knows they both want to swim but they lack the courage because it's cold. They know they'll love it once they're in so they try to give each other the courage and sure enough, because he's been dared - the first boy jumps in, the second quickly follows and they have a great time.

Or like Elaina said, you like a girl but you're too shy to tell her, so your friends say 'go on, say hello to her, we dare you.' They know it's what you want to do so they're not trying to manipulate you, just encouraging you to be brave enough to speak to the girl. After all if you never speak to her you will never know if she like you or not and there will be no chance of any relationship. So they have your best interests at heart.

As you pointed out, daring can be used in a bad way, to egg people on to do the wrong thing but this is not always the case and generally speaking I would hope in all societies good people like us would only use it for fun and good things

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: