Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Please help to identify correct sentence in Spanish.

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old May 05, 2021, 02:56 AM
Opal

DMV is on a distinguished road
Here is the link for video file of the same fragment.

https://dropmefiles.com/mKxUQ

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 05, 2021, 08:47 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Well, I can verify that she isn't saying the words written in the transcript.
To me, it seems like the verb she uses is tienen. Her sentence ends in 'menos de diez años'.
I'll leave it to someone who uses her particular manner of speaking to dispel all doubts.

Last edited by Rusty; May 05, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 05, 2021, 08:48 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Bueno, bueno, bueno. Tecnología de punta, ¿eh? Bueno, a ver, no es que San José fuera la NASA, pero al menos los equipos tenían menos de diez años."

I agree with Tomísimo. She's making fun of obsolete equipment, and comparing it to the things they had in San José, which wasn't great anyway.

She's saying something like: "Well, well, well. Cutting-edge technology, huh? So, San Jose was no NASA, but at least the equipment was less than ten years old".

Just like in English, some regional accents drop ' and "smoothen" () some sounds to make the words easier to pronounce.

Her sentence sounds a little like: "Bueno, bueno, bueno. Tecnología'e punta, ¿eh? Bueno, (a)ver, no es que San José fuer(a) la NASA, pero al menos los equipos tenían menos (de) diez años."
Old May 06, 2021, 08:12 AM
Opal

Thank you for you replies. I really think that she says "tenían menos" but for some reason "en" after "t" sound like an "R-sound". Maybe just a slip in a fast speech.

I've got 2 more questions. From continuation of the same dialog. After Salgado (her boss) tells Lidia "Sabes que no es necesario decir todo lo que piensas, verdad?", so that she should not tell all she thinks right away, she replies with this: "Ah, es que, me viene de fábrica". I understand that this could be translated as "I was born this way", is it correct? Also is this some kind of metaphor, stable expression in Spanish or what?

Later, Salgado introduces her to Guevarra who is going to be her partner. After Salgado insists that Lidia helps Guevarra with currently investigated case of assassination of police officer, he reacts negatively, telling that she has just arrived and is still very young to be brought onto such a delicate case. When she tells him that she served in police for quite some time in Zaragoza he tells her: "Supongo que habrá llevado (usted) varios casos de asesinatos con premeditación en Zaragoza". Here are my questions - what is the tense for the verb llevar used there and is it correct to use such tense (after "suppongo que" should be a verb in subjunctive mood)? Also is it correct to use "usted" after the verb? This word is not in subtitles, but it is what I hear. And what would be the translation of the verb here?

Thank you for any reply in advance!

Old May 06, 2021, 08:27 AM
Opal

Here is the link for the video of the fragments and some context as well.

https://dropmefiles.com/oiwFh
Old May 06, 2021, 08:57 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I've got two more questions from a continuation of the same dialog. After Salgado (her boss) tells Lidia "Sabes que no es necesario decir todo lo que piensas, verdad?", so that she won't say everything she thinks right away, she replies with this: "Ah, es que, me viene de fábrica". I understand that this could be translated as "I was born this way". Is it correct? Also, is this some kind of metaphor, set expression in Spanish or what?
Yes, it can be interpreted as you suggest. It's literal meaning isn't at play here, since she wasn't created in a shop somewhere.
Quote:
Later, Salgado introduces her to Guevarra who is going to be her partner. After Salgado insists that Lidia helps Guevarra with a currently investigated case of an assassination of a police officer, he reacts negatively, saying that she has just arrived and is still very young to be brought onto such a delicate case. When she tells him that she served in the police force for quite some time in Zaragoza he tells her: "Supongo que habrá llevado (usted) varios casos de asesinatos con premeditación en Zaragoza". Here are my questions - what is the tense for the verb llevar used there and is it correct to use such tense (after "supongo que" should be a verb in subjunctive mood)?
Habrá llevado is the conjugated, third-person singular, future perfect tense form of the verb llevar. It is translated into English as 'will have brought'. When you suppose something, this is a statement of something real. So, the indicative mood is properly used here.
Quote:
Also is it correct to use "usted" after the verb?
Yes. The third-person form is also used for 'he' or 'she,' so using 'usted' ensures no ambiguity. If it's perfectly clear that 'usted' was the only possible subject pronoun, then using it adds emphasis to the pronoun.
Old May 06, 2021, 09:47 AM
Opal

In this case can you explain to me the use of the future tense when speaking clearly of the past? He is asking her about whether there have been such cases before there or not. Not directly asking, but suggesting it.
Old May 06, 2021, 10:43 AM
Señor Speedy

The tense is designated as future, but in Spanish the future tense can be used to signify 'must', or something to that effect. Habrá venido Juan. = John should/must have come by now.

So, the real question is translated as 'must have brought' or something similar. Sorry to not have explained this usage when I wrote earlier.
Old May 06, 2021, 02:48 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Adding to Rusty's explanations:

- "(Venir) de fábrica" does mean to be born with a certain characteristic. It is a set expression, which is to be understood in context.

· Tengo cuatro lunares en la rodilla. Vienen de fábrica. -> I was born with four moles on the knee.
· Ese mal carácter que tienes, ¿es de fábrica? -> Where you born with such a bad temper?
· La consciencia social me viene de fábrica. Mis padres eran militantes comunistas. -> I was born with a social conscience. My parents were activists of the Communist Party.

- Sometimes, the use of the future in Spanish introduces a guess.

· Supongo que Juan ya habrá llegado a casa a esta hora. -> Because of the hour, I'm assuming Juan is already at home.
· Ana no responde mis llamadas. ¿Será que ya no me quiere? -> Ana is not replying to my calls. I wonder if she doesn't love me anymore.
· No sé si esta cama tan grande cabrá en mi recámara. -> I don't know if such a big bed like this will fit in my bedroom.
· Por tu culpa Roberto tuvo un accidente. Ya estarás contento. -> Because of you Roberto had an accident. Are you happy now?

- As Rusty, said, the use of "usted" erases the ambiguity and depending on the attitude, it also adds emphasis to what you're saying. Also, depending on the context, it may also add a polite tone to the sentence.

· Lo que está usted diciendo es falso. -> What you are saying, sir/ma'am, is false.
· ¡Cállese! No me importa lo que usted quiera decir. -> Shut up! I don't care what you say.
· ¿Se siente usted cansado? Venga, siéntese. -> Are you feeling tired, ma'am/sir? Come here, take a sit.
· Permítame usted ofrecerle un café. -> Let me offer you a coffee, sir,/ma'am.
Old May 07, 2021, 12:37 AM
Opal

Thank you for your replies. Can you clarify one more thing? In the phrase "Supongo que habrá llevado usted" can "usted" be used before or right after "habrá"? So would be "habrá usted llevado" or "usted habrá llevada" correct usage?

And also does this tense have subjunctive mood or not? I suppose it should since he is just suggesting it (making an assumption) and is not stating the fact.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: