Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Learning English with videos

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old December 03, 2009, 06:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I really should start recording myself to work on my accent. My Peruvian friend says that my consonants are not soft enough. (Although she is the same person who says "arriba" and I can't hear a "b" sound AT ALL.
jajaja. por supuesto, en Perú y Chile muchas veces, hablando mal, se omite la "b".

Por ejemplo:

Llévame p'arría (para arriba)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 03, 2009, 08:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, he is definitely not British. He is definitely American. In fact, I would say that he is not from the Southeastern US, either. He is speaking a little bit slowly and annunciating his words distinctly. I try to remember to do that when I teach my "English as a Second Language" Algebra class............

By the way - I have said it before and I'll say it again: These videos at the University of Texas website are FABULOUS for English speakers wanting to improve their Spanish listening skills. http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html
Did you teach Algebra to foreigner students? I should be quite difficult, for the pupils, of course

A very interesting link to learn Spanish . Above all when, in my opinion, listening is the worse when you're learning a language and linguistic immersion is not possible.

And is he American? Well, USA is so big... I've heard another accents from USA (I don't know from where they were) and they were hard to understand. American English has a nasal accent to my ears
Old December 03, 2009, 11:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Here the point the guy speaks very clear and very well, I like this kind to videos, because I can understand them.
Old December 03, 2009, 12:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Did you teach Algebra to foreigner students? I should be quite difficult, for the pupils, of course

A very interesting link to learn Spanish . Above all when, in my opinion, listening is the worse when you're learning a language and linguistic immersion is not possible.

And is he American? Well, USA is so big... I've heard another accents from USA (I don't know from where they were) and they were hard to understand. American English has a nasal accent to my ears
Yes, I teach Algebra in a secondary school (14-20 year olds). Many in my school are foreign born - it's just that kind of neighborhood. Algebra is always difficult for some and easy for others. I find that the language doesn't really stop those students who have a natural leaning toward mathematics.

I LOVE that website - can't wait to get back to it every time I can!

Yes - this video is definitely American. And, yes, American accents can vary greatly. I'm glad that this one has been easy for you to understand!!
Old December 03, 2009, 01:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Quote:
Yes - this video is definitely American. And, yes, American accents can vary greatly. I'm glad that this one has been easy for you to understand!!
Please, do not forget that these feelings of difficulties are always felt by learners of any language.

irmamar states that since the US is so big... that is natural to have different accents, however she forgets that Spain has different accents in just one little region and there are/were 13 provinces!

When I first arrived, I made friends to a Guatemalan couple, he grew up in the US and spoke Spanish too, and sometimes he would be listening to the radio, and where for me was just mumble jumble he would listen to it without much attention. I would ask him if he understood everything, to which he would answer "yes". I used to think to myself that I would never be able to understand that well or any of it, for that matter...

I still don't!!!!! (just kidding).

Last edited by chileno; December 04, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old December 04, 2009, 01:51 AM
Diamond

I hope you do, because if you don't I won't ever
Old December 04, 2009, 08:39 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A friend of mine has sent me this link with English videos. You can watch them subtitled:

http://www.lingual.net/lingualproductitems/

She has sent me also this link where a man advises to throw away your grammar books. I've found it funny, but what I like is his accent: he speaks so clear...., I can understand everything. Why don't all English speakers speak so clear?

Thanks, Irmamar. I just sent the info to my students.
Old December 05, 2009, 07:17 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
Thanks, Irmamar. I just sent the info to my students.
You're welcome. It's so easy to understand!
Old December 05, 2009, 08:05 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Well, I have just tried to listen to that video, and I had to stop listening becuse I could not tolerate his accent. Not only that, but he was saying you should not study grammar. Absolutely ridiculous. I think that not only do I speak more clearly than he, I talk with an acceptable accent and I talk a lot more sense as well. And I'm modest.
Old December 05, 2009, 09:48 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
He's easy to understand because he speaks slowly and articulates for English learners. I guess he wouldn't be so easy to understand in a daily conversation.

@Perikles: I agree with you, but now I'm relieved it's not my fault actually that I can't speak English easily, quickly and automatically.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: