Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Gerund and preterite...

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old October 16, 2008, 03:54 AM
Pearl

hola is on a distinguished road
what i meant was something like this:

estuve comiendo <<< if i am not mistaken, this is incorrect
estuve hablando <<< this is another example of using the gerund w/ the preterite and if i am not mistaken, it is incorrect

in those 2 examples you have the complete (estuve) w/ the ongoing action (comiendo), (hablando)

so im concluding that you can not use the gerund w/ the preterite (complete)

in those 2 examples estaba would have to be used because we have ongoing (comiendo, hablando) actions

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 16, 2008, 04:09 AM
Pearl

i might add that if you are going to use the complete or preterite w/ the gerund, you must add a time period in order for the sentence to hold up structurally. in other words, you must add additional information to convey the fact that the action has been completed if you are set on using the gerund. otherwise the incomplete or imperfect which would be estaba must be used w/ the gerund.

estuve comiendo. <<< wrong
estuve comiendo para quince minutos. <<< correct

estuve hablando. <<< wrong
estuve hablando para mucho tiempo. <<< correct
Old October 16, 2008, 07:48 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
There is nothing wrong with using the preterite progressive (estuve comiendo, for example). It means that someone was eating, was interrupted by something else, and did not return to eating after the interruption. Since the eating stopped (because of an interruption), the preterite is used to indicate completion of an action that was in progress.

The two sentences you listed with a time period are not correct. An ongoing (continuous) action in the past, that isn't interrupted by something else and that may, or may not still be happening always takes the imperfect tense.

Estaba comiendo por quince minutos. (This is just describing a continous action in the past - there is no hint of an interruption that caused eating to stop.)
Estaba comiendo por muchos minutos. (This is a continuous action for an indefinite amount of time. It may still be occurring.)
Old October 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I don't agree with anybody, because the sentence for itself structure is well done, for example if you mean to say, I was eating. or I was eat. the words or sentences is alone without any complement exact, simply you was eating, it's not necessary put them a complement, here some examples in my own translate.

Estaba comiendo. this noun sole is well done, it's not needs any complement.

Estube comiendo. it like need not any complement for to be understanding.

But if you mean to say more exact the sentence or to be more exact in your commentary , you will need to fulfill the sentence for example, I was eating 15 minutes ago.

Estaba comiendo hace 15 minutos.
Old October 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
Señor Speedy

You agree with me, Crotalito. I didn't say the constructs had to be accompanied by anything to make sense. We don't have this ability in English, so I had to add parenthetical explanations.
Old October 16, 2008, 11:29 AM
Pearl

oh ok i thought they would be correct Rusty because it is saying that the action of eating has been completed, hence, estuve comiendo para quince minutos.

i assumed that you can not say estaba comiendo *without* saying for how long because estaba is the incomplete

the moment i say estuve comiendo, i am signifying that the action is complete so it would need a time period (ayer or quice minutos), again, because of the word estuve

the moment i say estaba i am signifying that the action is not complete so i have to put a time period IF i am going to continue to use the word comiendo OTHERWISE the alternative would be to simply say comia

i thought it was structurally wrong to use the gerund w/ the preterite

i'm thinking you can say estuve comiendo para quince minutos (time period included because im using the gerund) or comia para quince minutos but you can't say estaba comiendo and that's it. you would have to add something to the end of that for it to be structurally correct. example: estaba comiendo algo OR estaba comiendo tu comida OR estaba comiendo cuando me llamaste
Old October 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
Señor Speedy

Not to beat a dead horse, but those verb structures can stand alone in a sentence and they have the meanings I explained. There isn't a way to differentiate them in English without additional words. In Spanish, however, they are wholly self-explanatory.

Estaba comiendo means I was eating when something interrupted me and then I returned to eating. It also means I was eating when something else occurred. The latter 'has set the stage' for something else. This form can also refer to something habitually done. Of course, most people would add the 'something else,' the 'interruption' or the 'when the habitual action occurred,' but the meaning is encoded in the verb structure, not in the additional words.

Estuve comiendo means I was eating, was interrupted, and didn't return to eating. The process of eating (hence the progressive form) had an end. No other explanation is needed, but most of the time there will be additional words.
Old October 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
I agree wholeheartedly!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: