Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

No puedo hablar español... :(

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old April 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Don't worry, someone once told me that when learning a new language one day you'll wake up and realize your fluent, but the trick is to have confidence in your skills and that day will come much, much sooner

I've only been learning for a few months, and I don't have anyone to speak spanish with so what I actually do is carry out conversations in my head when I'm going about my day, although they are very slow and sometimes I get lost in it, I feel that it helps me out alot. Or even when your talking to someone answer in english then answer in spanish in your head Really gets my mind thinking about forming sentences quicker/easier. My way of trying to emerse myself I guess.

Hope that helps you out, have confidence.

Last edited by bobjenkins; April 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
Buy some music from Spain and/or Latin America. Print out the lyrics. Make the margaritas. Put the music on. Follow along with your lyrics and enjoy your margaritas. See, like Chileno is trying to say, you can enjoy and learn at the same time.

If you need some suggestions for music, I'm sure many members here would be glad to help.
Oh, I totally have been doing that! I have a whole playlist full of songs in my iPod - listen to them all the time ... Gloria Estefan, Fabulosos Cadillacs, Shakira's song "Ojos Así" (I love that one), Julio Iglesias, and a bunch of others ... I have a blast listening to them, and even work on the lyrics from time to time. I'm reading a book that I really enjoy in Spanish. I really enjoyed a telenovela (it just ended) for many months. I listen to fun TV and movies in Spanish. It IS fun ... but there is also work involved. And I am really, really enjoying the endeavor. Really, I am!!!
Old April 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Don't worry, someone once told me that when learning a new language one day you'll wake up and realize your fluent, but the trick is to have confidence in your skills and that day will come much, much sooner good luck
Thanks, Bob!!
Old April 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
First, you were nervous, that's obvious, you should be more quiet, next time. And if you go there several times, you'll see that you'll become quieter. And second: why are you writing in English?

When you learn a new language, connections must be created in the brain, you (an me too) have to create these connections. You'll find easy to speak Spanish when they were created. Look at Bobjenkins, he's creating his connections
Old April 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
First, you were nervous, that's obvious, you should be more quiet, next time. And if you go there several times, you'll see that you'll become quieter. And second: why are you writing in English?

When you learn a new language, connections must be created in the brain, you (an me too) have to create these connections. You'll find easy to speak Spanish when they were created. Look at Bobjenkins, he's creating his connections
I'm writing in English because I'm at work (and shouldn't be writing here at all) and don't have time in between things to sit and ponder how to say something in Spanish.

I was trying to be quiet at the Spanish church, but because I was new, everyone wanted to talk to me. My young friend would introduce me and tell them that I am trying to learn to speak Spanish, so they would speak to me in Spanish, expecting a response. Eek!

Yes - as a teacher I totally understand connections. As a perfectionist, I really wish those connections would happen MUCH faster. I'll be wheels down in Uruguay in two months!! Eek eek!!!!
Old April 27, 2009, 01:56 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Well, I have to look at it as working hard. If it were up to doing whatever I feel like doing, I'd be sitting on my deck drinking margaritas all the time and would never end up learning to speak Spanish.....

All I can say, look at the fun side of it...

Else it becomes a self impose chastise.
Old April 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
Diamond

Well, not really chastise ... I've got my eye on the "prize". I can't WAIT to arrive in South America and be able to actually have a few conversations with people that I meet there.
Old April 27, 2009, 03:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Don't worry, someone once told me that when learning a new language one day you'll wake up and realize your fluent, but the trick is to have confidence in your skills and that day will come much, much sooner

I've only been learning for a few months, and I don't have anyone to speak spanish with so what I actually do is carry out conversations in my head when I'm going about my day, although they are very slow and sometimes I get lost in it, I feel that it helps me out alot. Or even when your talking to someone answer in english then answer in spanish in your head Really gets my mind thinking about forming sentences quicker/easier. My way of trying to emerse myself I guess.

Hope that helps you out, have confidence.
Yes, as you said before, the fluency with that you speak the language does not determine if you are or aren't able to speak the language, if you have not with who speak or improve your English, you mustn't worry with it, because you only need to listen to it or thus things as to music at Spanish or perhaps you can listen the movies without the translation of the same movie, you must try to learn the more that you can do it, but if you have the opportunity to read books, to listen music, or watch videos or movies at Spanish, I feel that they will can help you with your learning.
Old May 02, 2009, 02:38 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Suavemente is on a distinguished road
Yo pienso que "razón" es utilizada para describir "que es justo" o la capacidad hacer algo. Por ejemplo.... Americanos tiene la razón llevar armas....

Last edited by Suavemente; May 02, 2009 at 02:52 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: