Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Thinking on giving up Spanish

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old June 07, 2013, 07:06 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
It's exclusively TVE. They are very intelligent, intelligible and thorough. As Perikles notes, they are very sporatic, and I think there is less now than before. I assume it's because of budget cuts.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 07, 2013, 08:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Wait, same thing happens in the US. Maybe the US is copying from Spain's TVE ??

Old June 07, 2013, 09:04 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
It's exclusively TVE. They are very intelligent, intelligible and thorough.
Oh, another thing. I have now and again come across these kinds of programmes. But they drive me nuts. Why? Because when there is a commentary it is always (in my experience) accompanied by vile background music which is so loud, you can't hear what is being said. I have formed the opinion that Spanish people cannot actually understand anything unless there is deafening background noise: it seems not only natural, but an actual requirement.
Old June 07, 2013, 09:04 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Anyone watch 13tv?
Old June 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I get TVE interncacional. I think they are on their best behavior for outlanders, and sometimes there's very informative coverage without loud music. I like Saber y Ganar too. I can figure out the asweres sometimes, but I have to concentrate hard to understand.
Old June 07, 2013, 01:31 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Recomiendo a todos que estan tratando de aprender español para mirar la televisión en español. Si no estás mirando la televisión en español estás perdiendo el mejor y mas facil manera de aprender el idioma español.
Empecé a ver la televisión en español hace muchos años, cuando empecé a aprender español. Descubrí rápidamente que estaba aprendiendo español muchas veces más rápido con la televisión en español que solo hablar con personas en español. Con las telenovelas en español aprendiamo todas las palabras españolas que se tratan de todas las emociones humanas. También existe esa conexión cultural entre las personas que ven la misma televisión en español.

Aquí en California hay muchos canales de televisión en español. A veces vuelvo a TV in inglés durante las pausas comerical en la televisión en español. Los programas de TV in inglés se tratan mucho de asesinatos, torturas y así sucesivamente.
Tambien mira las noticias en español.
Old June 07, 2013, 01:41 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Recomiendo a todos que estan tratando de aprender español para mirar la televisión en español. Si no estás mirando la televisión en español estás perdiendo el mejor y mas facil manera de aprender el idioma español.
Empecé a ver la televisión en español hace muchos años, cuando empecé a aprender español. Descubrí rápidamente que estaba aprendiendo español muchas veces más rápido con la televisión en español que solo hablar con personas en español. Con las telenovelas en español aprendiamo todas las palabras españolas que se tratan de todas las emociones humanas. También existe esa conexión cultural entre las personas que ven la misma televisión en español.

Aquí en California hay muchos canales de televisión en español. A veces vuelvo a TV in inglés durante las pausas comerical en la televisión en español. Los programas de TV in inglés se tratan mucho de asesinatos, torturas y así sucesivamente.
Tambien mira las noticias en español.
Yup, I try and speak/listen/read and write as much as possible; how long have you been learning Spanish now? Also, your writing is much bettr than mine xD. My writing will get better in time.
Old June 07, 2013, 02:07 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Yup, I try and speak/listen/read and write as much as possible; how long have you been learning Spanish now? Also, your writing is much bettr than mine xD. My writing will get better in time.
Your writing in your second language is only as good as your writing in your first language. Also you can improve your first language writing by writing in your second language and visa versa. Does that make sense? Mark Twain or somebody said you only really learn well your own native language well when you learn a second language. Also since Spanish is a Latin language we improve our English vocabulary by studying Spanish. 60% of English vocabulary comes from the Latin language. The mayoria of high level English vocabulary comes from Latin and Greek and of course the Greek words come to us through Latin words. Remember the Romans who spoke Latin were really Greco Romanos. 12% of English words are from Greek. Greek that comes to us through Latin. So if 12% of English words are from Greek then even a higher percent of Spanish words are Greek. Greek that came through Latin once again. The Romans were in Spain for 640 years. The Spanish became Romans back then. Latin the language of the Romans was spoken in Spain for 860 years before it became Spanish.

I have been studying/speaking Spanish for a long time. Married a Spanish speaker and we only speak Spanish at home.
Old June 07, 2013, 02:09 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Your writing in your second language is only as good as your writing in your first language. Also you can improve your first language writing by writing in your second language and visa versa. Does that make sense? Mark Twain or somebody said you only really learn your own native language well when you learn a second language. Also sence Spanish is a Latin language we improve our English vocabulary by studying Spanish. 60% of English vocabulary comes from the Latin language. The mayoria of high level English vocabulary comes from Latin and Greek and of course the Greek words come to us through Latin words. Remember the Romans who spoke Latin were really Greco Romanos. 12% of English words are from Greek. Greek that comes to us through Latin. So if 12% of English words are from Greek then even a higher percent of Spanish words are Greek. Greek that came through Latin once again. The Romans were in Spain for 640 years. The Spanish became Romans back then. Latin the language of the Romans was spoken in Spain for 860 years before it became Spanish.

I have been studying/speaking Spanish for a long time. Married a Spanish speaker and we only speak Spanish at home.
I guess that shows me it's possible to be good at Spanish without moving to the country or being in the country.

For me, it's getting the chance to speak to natives; I'll be going to the cafe soon to speak it to them.
Old June 07, 2013, 02:35 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
I guess that shows me it's possible to be good at Spanish without moving to the country or being in the country.

For me, it's getting the chance to speak to natives; I'll be going to the cafe soon to speak it to them.
Of course it is possible to learn another language without living in another country. Do you get Spanish TV where you live? Radio in Spanish? You live in Britain, correct? Also get Spanish writing pen pals. Make flash cards with your Spanish vocabulary. Write Spanish vocabulary words on your mirrors in your house. Use the erasable markers. Talk to anybody and everybody in Spanish.
So there are Spanish speakers at the cafe? Make friends with them. Get their e-mail addresses. Invite on the forum. Ask them how to say things in Spanish. Record them talking. My phone has a recorder. How about yours?

So you are not going to give up on Spanish anymore?
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: