Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Is this the subjunctive?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old May 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Ok, then I guess you're having fun?
No. I'm not, honest.

Quote:
Would you please tell me what "may" translated to 30 years ago?
It used to mean, and still does mean, a possibility:

Missing man may still be alive
= It is possible that the missing man is still alive.

In a hypothetical situation, you revert to the subjunctive:

Missing man might still be alive ....if he had taken a map with him and not fallen off a cliff.

Quote:
And please tell me how "Anything you may need" translated 30 years ago.
No I can't, because it is (was) grammatically incorrect, and should be with might.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What?

You mean to tell me you don't recognize yourself in that "we".

tsk, tsk, tsk...
The matter is, does the original holder do? then, how? That's still my question.

Certainly there are popular etymology and popular grammar, but I'm not playing Chinese whispers here.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Lo siento. No entiendo qué pasó.

I simply meant that although English was losing things like a clear distinction between may and might, over time, new distinctions will appear in other aspects of the language. We = English speakers over the years
Old May 14, 2011, 12:36 PM
Diamond

But, are you contributing to maintain and develop the English language?

Frankly, the whole thing strongly sounded to me like "if I break it, my old people will buy me a new one", no matter it is a skate or a modal auxiliary verb. I find not to be an acceptable approach to waste resources -be it natural gas or language- just because there is more of that or given enough time it'll regenerate.

Some parts of the debate sounded to me like implying that "Me neither" has displaced "Neither do I" until the last became extinct, what is not true, so I took several movie scripts and subtitles, both from US and Britain -international or local- and scanned them for can's, could's, may's and might's, and it seems the writers are applying mostly "the old rules" unless they are trying their characters to sound very "popular".
Old May 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
Emerald

Quote:
But, are you contributing to maintain and develop the English language?
What on earth are you talking about?

Quote:
Frankly, the whole thing strongly sounded to me like
I was just saying how American English is spoken, not how someone says it ought to be spoken. In informal to semi-formal American English (or at least in my idiolect), there is no difference between may and might. I would use them interchangeably: "Anything you may need" and "Anything you might need" mean exactly the same thing. There is no distinction in meaning to me. If I were writing an academic paper, I still wouldn't distinguish them. It could be that 30 years ago, spoken American English did have a distinction between them, but I wasn't around 30 years ago, so I have no idea. If I read an old book, I still wouldn't perceive any differences between the two words in a sentence like that. It could also be that certain dialects still retain a distinction between them. Just like I wouldn't hear if someone pronounced "Cot" and "Caught" differently, because we have the cot-caught merger in this part of the country.

Quote:
Some parts of the debate sounded to me like implying that "Me neither" has displaced "Neither do I" until the last became extinct, what is not true, so I took several movie scripts and subtitles, both from US and Britain -international or local- and scanned them for can's, could's, may's and might's, and it seems the writers are applying mostly "the old rules" unless they are trying their characters to sound very "popular".
"Neither do I" is simply a more formal way of saying "Me neither". I don't see why it would die out anytime soon. It is actually similar to "I agree" and "I concur." There is absolutely no difference in meaning of the two, except "concur" is most likely directly from Latin, and thus sounds more formal. Personally, I have never heard anyone say "I concur" in real life, besides in an old movie. That's not to say that nobody ever uses it ever anymore.

Last edited by Caballero; May 14, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
It is actually similar to "I agree" and "I concur." There is absolutely no difference in meaning of the two, except "concur" is most likely directly from Latin, and thus sounds more formal.
I don't know why you think concur (L. concurrere) is more like Latin than agree (L. ad + gratus)
Old May 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Diamond

It looks like those "I see no difference between X and Y -or Y is just more formal than X-" and its Spanish counterpart are increasingly common. Where is the boundary? Not clearly stated: historic the same as historical, especially the same as specially, further the same as farther, etc. How about "if I was you", "I ain't", "I don't have no money" or "a whole nother apple"? Some of them should be laughable so the rest of them can go on unnoticed?

The fact is that they are not different within the conceptual range that different groups of speakers manage, so they're kind of setting the limitations of that groups, not the limitations of the language. By the other hand, there's a limit on how strict and splendid a language user can come to be, as there's a risk of become yet another blog, somebody speaking with him or herself and a few ones more. There's some aurea mediocritas there and nobody is the owner of the truth, but I prefer to sin of excessive aurea and not excessive mediocritas -this one, we are flooded with sinners nowadays-. Al least, the first one would be the only tolerable sin of both in an academic forum.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
Emerald

Well, actually, I speak more formally and "correctly" than 90% of people my age. But I don't use certain forms for the same reason you wouldn"t go around saying "Llamome Alec"
Old May 14, 2011, 02:59 PM
Diamond

chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
No. I'm not, honest.

It used to mean, and still does mean, a possibility:

Missing man may still be alive
= It is possible that the missing man is still alive.

In a hypothetical situation, you revert to the subjunctive:

Missing man might still be alive ....if he had taken a map with him and not fallen off a cliff.

No I can't, because it is (was) grammatically incorrect, and should be with might.
Then please write the correct way for 30 years ago for "Lo que pueda necesitar"

Nos estamos dando vuelta en el agua?

Old May 14, 2011, 03:01 PM
Diamond

chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
The matter is, does the original holder do? then, how? That's still my question.

Certainly there are popular etymology and popular grammar, but I'm not playing Chinese whispers here.
Oh, you lost me, you are WAY more intelligent for me.

Thanks anyway.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: