Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
First of all, I misspelled "fluency"

And yes, it has always been fascinating for me to watch children develop in two languages. They just go and get it.

My two girls are fully bilingual, with almost no accent in English and almost no accent in chileno.

I say almost because it is impossible not to soften your accent living outside your country. In the case of my girls, although there were born in the US, their first language was spanish a como diera lugar! :-)
The case of your girls is very interesting because they developed the language in early age, if you taught them the Spanish as first language although they was born inside of the U.S.A, and as rule the first language that musted to be to them was English, you did the major endeavor in giving them your native language, look, I can't to do the same than you, because I don't live in some place as you, but I can teach to my children when I learn the language to a correct way I can teach them the language as second option besides the person that knows the English has more opportunity in this world very competitive.

But some is true about it.

The people born with the gusto of the languages and you was one to them.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Do you know that being bilingual makes that the Alzheimer can be delayed (I'm not sure, I wanted to say: puede retrasar la aparición del Alzheimer)?. To be bilingual in this case is enough if you get a minimum in writing, speaking or listening. This is because of the connections made in the brain are good for this. These connections also help to get a better memory and concentration.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:28 PM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
This is random, but now that I've been concentrating on learning Spanish again, I'll find myself start to sing parts of songs in Spanish. I oft don't get very far, due to limited vocab, inability to translate that quickly, and how often idioms are used in songs. But whenever a easy/common phrase pops up, I tend to sing it in Spanish.
Old April 29, 2009, 02:01 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think that everything is difficult when learning Chinese: listening, speaking, writing, reading... and the tones. One friend of mine lived with a Chinese who changed her name to a Spanish name because nobody here could say correctly her name and she didn't understand when someone pronounced it.
that's true.

there are some Chinese characters that are pretty easy to write and some pin yin that are easy to pronounce
Old April 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
It's certainly difficult to speak and listen to others in the language. But the hardest thing for me is just remembering everything. Verb tenses and conjugations, idioms, vocab . . . you can learn them all individually, but in use, you have to put everything together. It can be a lot.

I'm awful at spelling, but spelling in Spanish seems to be a lot easier than in English. Things tend to be spelled the way they're pronounced, and follow certain conventions, whereas English doesn't seem to be as consistent.
Sometimes, in the middle of a sentence, I find that I completely forget how to say a particular word, or like you said; verb tenses, conjugations, idioma, etc... It could be something I use very often, something easy, but somehow, fpr the life of me, at that particular moment, I can´t remember...
Believe me guys, that is frustrating...
Old April 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Do you know that being bilingual makes that the Alzheimer can be delayed (I'm not sure, I wanted to say: puede retrasar la aparición del Alzheimer)?. To be bilingual in this case is enough if you get a minimum in writing, speaking or listening. This is because of the connections made in the brain are good for this. These connections also help to get a better memory and concentration.
I didn't know it.

But if you have whole information about your commentary, I think that it will be good idea sharing with us the information that you know in relation the you said before, as I said before, I didn't know anything about, but yes I believe that because when you are learning two or more languages you brain get endeavor more and more in resolve the questions and learn the that you are doing, then it's like that the mathematics, you know the people who study mathematics or some similar to it they think so much and the brain produce more cells and you are more intelligent, for example I don't know if the same situation with the other people, but when the first days that I was learning the English by first time, always I had heartache, but with the time the concentration was easier until today, already not I had heartache anymore of course I have, but it's for the hot that there is in my state, I believe that it's normal.

Old April 29, 2009, 08:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right. The same as playing chess or solving word puzzles.

It is a mental exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Sometimes, in the middle of a sentence, I find that I completely forget how to say a particular word, or like you said; verb tenses, conjugations, idioma, etc... It could be something I use very often, something easy, but somehow, fpr the life of me, at that particular moment, I can´t remember...
Believe me guys, that is frustrating...
That is because your mind gets in the way, more so when you know, and then in public you "forget".

It is frustrating, but that is battle that you have with yourself and not with the language.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:01 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I didn't know it.

But if you have whole information about your commentary, I think that it will be good idea sharing with us the information that you know in relation the you said before, as I said before, I didn't know anything about, but yes I believe that because when you are learning two or more languages you brain get endeavor more and more in resolve the questions and learn the that you are doing, then it's like that the mathematics, you know the people who study mathematics or some similar to it they think so much and the brain produce more cells and you are more intelligent, for example I don't know if the same situation with the other people, but when the first days that I was learning the English by first time, always I had heartache, but with the time the concentration was easier until today, already not I had heartache anymore of course I have, but it's for the hot that there is in my state, I believe that it's normal.

I suppose you meant "headache" instead "heartache"

I give you a couple of links:

http://www.universia.net.co/vigia-de...l-cerebro.html

http://www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx/n...de-demenc.html
Old April 30, 2009, 06:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Headache = dolor de cabeza

Heartache = dolor de corazón, concerniente al amor.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:52 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I suppose you meant "headache" instead "heartache"

I give you a couple of links:

http://www.universia.net.co/vigia-de...l-cerebro.html

http://www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx/n...de-demenc.html
I'm sorry, I made a bit mistake about it.

In this moment I can't to enter to the website because in my job there is a proxy and well the some website is prohibited.

But when I arrive to my home I can be free to check them.

Tags
hardest thing

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: