Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Pronunciation of Spanish "g"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old December 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Cuando fui a Ecuador había un chico inglés en mi grupo que dijo que tenía 19 anos. No lo creí.
Aqui, USA, tuve una compañera de trabajo que se apedillaba Buenaño, nadie lo pronunciaba bien. Y más encima yo asentía...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 01, 2010, 08:27 PM
Diamond

Ok, laepelba:

ga
gue
gui
go
gu

ge
gi

The last two are the ones I was trying to convey in that you have to imitate mostly any foreigner when trying to say HOT
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
la g.mp3 (190.7 KB, 165 views)  
Old January 02, 2010, 05:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Ok, laepelba:

ga
gue
gui
go
gu

ge
gi

The last two are the ones I was trying to convey in that you have to imitate mostly any foreigner when trying to say HOT
Hernán!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO much!! This is very helpful! I know that you have mentioned the English "h" sound previously. Someone else here pointed out the "g" in English words like "giraffe" also being a bit tricky. It's interesting how difficult it is to teach an adult tongue new sounds. There's still a small part of my brain that is going to be bothered by what that author said about a third way of saying "g" in Spanish, but I'll have to learn to let that go. LOL!

By the way, Hernán, you can call me "Lou Ann" (everyone can!) ... I guess I didn't realize when I originally created my account here that my login username would be my screen name as well. I use the same login name everywhere, and I don't know if I could remember anything different. The "laepelba" is a combination of my first initial and the beginning few letters of my last name..... (Reminiscent of the old days when file names could only be 8 characters long and that's how they had to do e-mail addresses and logins at work.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Si quieres decir "Feliz Año Nuevo" y no puedes escribir la 'ñ', ¿qué letra usarás? ¿Y qué palabra resulta si sustiuyes la 'ñ' por la 'n'?
I know that this is extremely off-topic.... But before answering Hernán here, I wanted to go back and re-read the entire thread. I noticed here that you said this backwards of how we would say it in English. Tell me if this is the usual construction:
- English: "if you substitute the <<new item>> for the <<existing item>>...."
- Spanish: "si sustiuyes <<la cosa existente>> por <<la cosa nueva>>..."
????
Old January 02, 2010, 11:41 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Hernán!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO much!!
You're very welcome.

Quote:
This is very helpful! I know that you have mentioned the English "h" sound previously. Someone else here pointed out the "g" in English words like "giraffe" also being a bit tricky. It's interesting how difficult it is to teach an adult tongue new sounds.
It's only diffilcult as long as the person is reticent to learn new sounds or make the effort, despite their vocalizing their willingness to do so.

Quote:
There's still a small part of my brain that is going to be bothered by what that author said about a third way of saying "g" in Spanish, but I'll have to learn to let that go. LOL!
Glad to hear that. I would "worry" about that if I'd go to a country that seemed to have a third or forth sound for it...

Quote:
By the way, Hernán, you can call me "Lou Ann" (everyone can!) ... I guess I didn't realize when I originally created my account here that my login username would be my screen name as well. I use the same login name everywhere, and I don't know if I could remember anything different. The "laepelba" is a combination of my first initial and the beginning few letters of my last name..... (Reminiscent of the old days when file names could only be 8 characters long and that's how they had to do e-mail addresses and logins at work.....)
I've know about your name for a long time, but I like laepelba too!

Quote:
I know that this is extremely off-topic.... But before answering Hernán here, I wanted to go back and re-read the entire thread. I noticed here that you said this backwards of how we would say it in English. Tell me if this is the usual construction:
- English: "if you substitute the <<new item>> for the <<existing item>>...."
- Spanish: "si sustituyes <<la cosa existente>> por <<la cosa nueva>>..."
????
No, it's like in English. It happened this way:

Consider the word Knew.

What happens when you substitute "k" with just a space?

Old January 02, 2010, 11:53 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's only diffilcult as long as the person is reticent to learn new sounds or make the effort, despite their vocalizing their willingness to do so.
No estoy de acuerdo. A no ser que tengas un profesor muy paciente que te de clases individuales es bastante difícil aprender a hacer nuevos sonidos. Si no me crees, intenta hacer una oclusiva glotal como el primer sonido de una palabra.

Quote:
No, it's like in English. It happened this way:

Consider the word Knew.

What happens when you substitute "k" with just a space?

Pero en inglés

I substitute the old thing with the new thing.
I substitute the new thing for the old thing.

Así que la pregunta es si en este caso hay que traducir por -> with.
Old January 02, 2010, 12:35 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Pero en inglés

Thanks ... that was helpful!
Old January 02, 2010, 02:30 PM
Diamond

Quote:
No estoy de acuerdo. A no ser que tengas un profesor muy paciente que te de clases individuales es bastante difícil aprender a hacer nuevos sonidos. Si no me crees, intenta hacer una oclusiva glotal como el primer sonido de una palabra.
No sé que decirte.

Casi recién llegado, una niñita en el trabajo hacía que yo fuera con ella todas las mañanas y le recitara "she sells seashells by the seashore", terminábamos peleando todos los días.

La respuesta llegó un tiempo después, cuando yo estaba analizando la pronunciación, y me acordé de que algunos de los chilenos dicen que somos "shilenos". No fue hasta ese momento que me di cuenta de que podía pronunciar correctamente, o más cercano a lo correcto las palabras que contenían "sh" en ellas.

Casi no te creo.

Quote:
Pero en inglés

Sustituyo las cosas viejas por nuevas.
Sustituyo a mi vieja .... por una nueva.

Sustituyo las cosas viejas con cosas nuevas.
Sustituyo a mi vieja ... con una nueva.

I am not sure if I am following.

Maybe I do not recall enough of my own grammar?
Old January 02, 2010, 05:35 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
sustituir.
2. [...] Cuando significa ‘poner una cosa o a una persona en el lugar [de otra]’, además del complemento directo lleva un complemento precedido de por: «Un criado sustituyó el cenicero por otro impoluto» (Mendoza Verdad [Esp. 1975]). Si este segundo complemento se refiere a cosa, también admite la preposición con: «Si usted no come carne roja, la puede sustituir con carne de pavo molida» (NHerald [EE. UU.] 15.1.98).

Diccionario panhispánico de dudas ©2005
Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
According to this entry, you can use either preposition, but only when a thing is being substituted.

Last edited by Rusty; January 02, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 02, 2010, 06:30 PM
Diamond

So, I was correct at least in Spanish.

In English I have to assume that it is like pjt posted. I never noticed that, and it seemed to be news to Lou Ann also.
Old January 03, 2010, 05:40 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Pero en inglés

Quote:
So, I was correct at least in Spanish.

In English I have to assume that it is like pjt posted. I never noticed that, and it seemed to be news to Lou Ann also.
Pues, por supuesto, en español todo es nuevo para mí. Así ... cuando considero por -> with, entonces lo entiendo.....

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: