Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¿Estas aprendiendo Ruso?

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old June 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDanés View Post
компьютер, and it is masculine.
Veo conexiones entre el alfabeto cirílico y el griego: la kappa, la omicrón, la mi, la pi, la tau, la epsilon y la rho griegas.

¿Podríais poner el alfabeto cirílico?

Thanks

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 22, 2009, 09:02 AM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It's true that the case of the noun defines its function in the sentence and that word order isn't as strict in Russian as it is in English. I'm sorry if I confused you, but I just couldn't remember ever being taught that.
I just did some searching on the Internet and learned that it is possible to write it both ways.

Word order appears to be driven by context and emphasis.

The way I was taught probably relied on a certain context where you're being exposed to another. Both are correct, grammatically.
It would be nice if one of our native Russian speakers in the forums could enlighten us as to the subtle difference, if any, between the two.
'я тебя лублю' or 'я лублю тебя'

Good. Now we have sorted that out, all we need is a nice Russian woman to try it out on!!
Old June 22, 2009, 09:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Veo conexiones entre el alfabeto cirílico y el griego: la kappa, la omicrón, la mi, la pi, la tau, la epsilon y la rho griegas.

¿Podríais poner el alfabeto cirílico?

Thanks
Creo que un hombre ha usado algo letras del alfabeto griego cuando él creó el alfabeto cirílico

Aquí es el primer versión
А Б В Г Д Є Ж Ѕ З И І К Л М Н О П Ҁ Р С Т Ѹ Ф Х Ѡ Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ ЪІ Ь Ѣ Ю Ѧ Ѩ Ѫ Ѭ Ѯ Ѱ Ѳ Ѵ Ѥ

Actualidad versión
а б в г д е ё ж з и й к л м н о п р с т у ф х ц ч ш щ ъ ы ь э ю я

Old June 22, 2009, 09:37 AM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Creo que un hombre ha usado algo letras del alfabeto griego cuando él creó el alfabeto cirílico

Aquí es el primer versión
А Б В Г Д Є Ж Ѕ З И І К Л М Н О П Ҁ Р С Т Ѹ Ф Х Ѡ Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ ЪІ Ь Ѣ Ю Ѧ Ѩ Ѫ Ѭ Ѯ Ѱ Ѳ Ѵ Ѥ

Actualidad versión
а б в г д е ё ж з и й к л м н о п р с т у ф х ц ч ш щ ъ ы ь э ю я

If you can read the alphabet, you can often decypher words of English (or other W European) origin. such as school, computer, restaurant .......
Old June 22, 2009, 10:06 AM
Diamond

Well, I'd like to know the equivalent letters in Latin alphabet. That would be easier for me.

Sorry! I hadn't realized there were the links, thanks
Old June 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute View Post
If you can read the alphabet, you can often decypher words of English (or other W European) origin. such as school, computer, restaurant .......
That's very true, and I've found it very cool. Spanish is one thing; where certian words are basically the same in Spanish and English (though you have to be carefull for false similarities). But Russian, with a whole different "alien" looking alphabet, it still works if you know the letters.

It probably shows how dorky I am, but I was tickled to find out that some of the common "TV Russian" is actual Russian. Like "Roo'sky" (русский).

I haven't really been able to study conjugations / spelling rules . . . and those seem extreemely difficult to me still, but it is a very cool language.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:23 AM
Diamond

Well, I don't know if there are contact points between Russian and English, but I can tell you that a lot of English words come from Latin (around 28%) and many of them come from French (old French and Anglo-French) (28%). For instance, in your examples:

school, esp. escuela, lat. schola, gr. σχολή
computer, esp. computador, lat. computare
restaurant, esp. restaurante, lat. restaurare
Old June 22, 2009, 07:56 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
gatitotejana is on a distinguished road
Hola, hello, and privyet!

Unfortunately, I have a new computer with a new op system that I haven't learned yet, and don't have a Russian keyboard yet.

But, I may be able to help with some of your questions: I've been studying/using Russian and Spanish for years, since earning a degree in Russian with a minor in Spanish. I live in a heavily Mexican-American city, and use Spanish much more these days, but my Russian's pretty good, just a little rusty.

I love that you all are so interested in learning Russian. I think it's a beautiful, wonderful language, and it fascinated me from the beginning. Russia is a fascinating country with a wild and crazy history and a fabulous literature. I love Spanish, too, and besides my college roommate (a Spanish major and Russian minor), I've rarely found people I can visit with in my three languages.

I noticed the question about the similarity between Greek and Russian letters. No coincidence there; the creators of the Russian alphabet, later made Saints Cyril and Methodius, were monks in the Greek Orthodox Church, who went to Russia in the ninth century after Prince Vladimir converted (and forced his subjects to convert) to Orthodoxy.
Well, really the saints created the precursor of Old Church Slavonic which led to modern Russian.
So the similarities are for a very good reason. *g*.

I don't see a correction for a misspelled phrase above in the thread;
"I know" = "ya znayu."
"I don't know." "ya nye znayu."
The letter "a" in English is written the same as "a" in Russian; it is pronounced, when stressed, like "ah", or "a" in "father."

May I make a suggestion? Start slow, with simple pattern conversations, even a tape, totally audio, and learn cases one by one, as needed.
I'd recommend a used college Russian textbook over the Penguin one you have, Bob.
I think many of your uncertainties are because you're kind of jumping in in the middle of the lake without a plan.
Of the non-academic audio lessons, I've heard Pimsleur and Living Language, and they aren't bad.
I hope I'm not sounding like a critical schoolmarm (I've never been a teacher), but I think there are easier ways.

Oh, and yeah, I know my screen name is spelled wrong (should be gatitatejana) - typo, didn't notice till it was already approved.

Last edited by gatitotejana; June 22, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old June 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitotejana View Post
Hola, hello, and privyet!

Unfortunately, I have a new computer with a new op system that I haven't learned yet, and don't have a Russian keyboard yet.

But, I may be able to help with some of your questions: I've been studying/using Russian and Spanish for years, since earning a degree in Russian with a minor in Spanish. I live in a heavily Mexican-American city, and use Spanish much more these days, but my Russian's pretty good, just a little rusty.

I love that you all are so interested in learning Russian. I think it's a beautiful, wonderful language, and it fascinated me from the beginning. Russia is a fascinating country with a wild and crazy history and a fabulous literature. I love Spanish, too, and besides my college roommate (a Spanish major and Russian minor), I've rarely found people I can visit with in my three languages.

I noticed the question about the similarity between Greek and Russian letters. No coincidence there; the creators of the Russian alphabet, later made Saints Cyril and Methodius, were monks in the Greek Orthodox Church, who went to Russia in the ninth century after Prince Vladimir converted (and forced his subjects to convert) to Orthodoxy.
Well, really the saints created the precursor of Old Church Slavonic which led to modern Russian.
So the similarities are for a very good reason. *g*.

I don't see a correction for a misspelled phrase above in the thread;
"I know" = "ya znayu."
"I don't know." "ya nye znayu."
The letter "a" in English is written the same as "a" in Russian; it is pronounced, when stressed, like "ah", or "a" in "father."

May I make a suggestion? Start slow, with simple pattern conversations, even a tape, totally audio, and learn cases one by one, as needed.
I'd recommend a used college Russian textbook over the Penguin one you have, Bob.
I think many of your uncertainties are because you're kind of jumping in in the middle of the lake without a plan.
Of the non-academic audio lessons, I've heard Pimsleur and Living Language, and they aren't bad.
I hope I'm not sounding like a critical schoolmarm (I've never been a teacher), but I think there are easier ways.

Oh, and yeah, I know my screen name is spelled wrong (should be gatitatejana) - typo, didn't notice till it was already approved.
¡Gracias!
Old June 26, 2009, 05:09 PM
Diamond

Aquí es un video que encontré

La canción es en ruso, me interesa ese video y Yuri

Tags
ruso, russia, russian

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: