Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¿Eres otra persona al hablar otro idioma?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old March 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
Ha sido mi observación que para hablar cualquiera segunda lengua hay que pensar en esa lengua, inclusive el temperamento cultural. A veces sútil, en otras ocasiones, más dramático...

Last edited by hermit; March 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 17, 2010, 02:01 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
NiCACHiCA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think I don't change when I'm speaking another language, not even my voice or my gestures (or maybe I do ). But when I'm watching an English program at TV I increase the TV volume.

I am the same way when I watch a Spanish program on TV! I imagine it's because I want to catch every word...but learning Spanish might make me lose my hearing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Bien dicho, Explorator. Dado mi experiencia viviendo en un país que no es mio, es cierto que entiendo mejor algunas cosas que antes criticaba, también me siento más acogida por la gente cuando hablo con ellos en su idioma. Sin embargo, siento algo de rabia cuando alguien dice que no necesita aprender inglés o peor que no le gusta inglés y eso que no trabajo con los chicos de Oxford.

Like I said earlier, learning another language is one sure way of widening our horizon which in turn helps us to be more acommodating and flexible.

I think I understand enough to say that I agree with you both! I lived in Nicaragua for a year and have been changed ever since. It's an amazing experience to learn a new language, but even better to live and learn a new culture, new values, etc. It opened up a new way of thinking for me as well as a new set of values that I have kept since returning to the U.S.

I'm not a completely different person when speaking Spanish than I am when speaking English (I would say I'm a little bit more outgoing in Spanish, maybe because it's new and more fun), although I would say learning Spanish has changed me as a person in general.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
yeah, it's a new threshold for enthusiasm...
Old March 17, 2010, 05:21 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCACHiCA View Post
I am the same way when I watch a Spanish program on TV! I imagine it's because I want to catch every word...but learning Spanish might make me lose my hearing!!

I think I understand enough to say that I agree with you both! I lived in Nicaragua for a year and have been changed ever since. It's an amazing experience to learn a new language, but even better to live and learn a new culture, new values, etc. It opened up a new way of thinking for me as well as a new set of values that I have kept since returning to the U.S.

I'm not a completely different person when speaking Spanish than I am when speaking English (I would say I'm a little bit more outgoing in Spanish, maybe because it's new and more fun), although I would say learning Spanish has changed me as a person in general.
Yes I think exactly the same that you.
You don't need to change your way to be when you speak or learn any language in any country as well as you can be the same person of always.
Now I believe that yes it's important when you get more knowledge in the ambit labor, because with the new knowledge you have more change to get a truly work in the sense of the ambit professional and personal.

I want to share my own experience in the ambit professional, this language new for me of course, it has helped me that much, because since I know a little to English, I can read more information above my profession, now that the managers sees the a new opportunity in the job and my grade, although sometimes I have struggled with the language sometimes, because I don't know any word yet, but I try to do the best possible in my job, and in my hands are the solution to be someone better of course studying and studying more the language.

Now I have gone some place when the people speaks in English and really when I listen them, I become happy, because I know that I can practice with them my new knowledge, I try to speak with them in English only, although they know speak Spanish, I try do write only in English, in my case it's worst that I write in Spanish, maybe because I'm the major part of my free time and my busy time here posting with you.

Your experience is very motivate for me, because I can see that there're people who love the language and they do the same that me.

To speaks the language the more that you can do it during your whole day.
Old March 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCACHiCA View Post

Yo también !!

Estoy de acuerdo. El aprendizaje del español , es una gran felicidad para mi
Old March 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
This is a great question and a great topic.

"Ha sido mi observación que para hablar cualquiera segunda lengua hay que pensar en esa lengua, inclusive el temperamento cultural. A veces sútil, en otras ocasiones, más dramático..." Es verdad. Soy de acuerdo Hermit.

La respuesta es sì y no para mi. I've been speaking Spanish for casi 40 años and have become mexicanizado and hispanizado. I think and see things like a Mexican and or a Hispanic. Also I speak Italian so have that influence too but then again Italians and Hispanics have a very similar culture.

I think it's all about being bilingual and bicultural and being able to operate in both or more languages and cultures as much like a native speaker as possible.

But when all is said and done I just that simple country boy I always was. You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.

Last edited by Villa; March 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
This is a great question and a great topic.

La respuesta es sì y no para mi. I've been speaking Spanish for casi 40 años and have become mexicanizado and hispanizado. I think and see things like a Mexican and or a Hispanic. Also I speak Italian so have that influence too but then again Italians and Hispanics have a very similar culture.

I think it's all about being bilingual and bicultural and being able to operate in both or more languages and cultures as much like a native speaker as possible.

But when all is said and done I just that simple country boy I always was. You can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy.
You can say that again! Lovely post.
Old March 29, 2010, 11:03 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
You can say that again! Lovely post.
Gracias Marìa Josè.

Last edited by Rusty; March 29, 2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: removed personal invitation
Old April 20, 2010, 01:02 AM
Opal

IANINA is on a distinguished road
Hola gente linda

LEI EL FORUM Y ME GUSTO AL IDEA DE HABLAR DEL TEMA
YO SOY ARGENTINA QUE VIVE EN ISRAEL HACE 7 ANIOS Y HABLO EN OTRO IDIOMA QUE ES EL HEBREO.
YO SIENTO QUE ME CAMBIO LA PERSONALIDAD EL IDIOMA EXISTEN CODIGOS, MANERAS DE EXPRESION, HUMOR EN UN IDIOMA QUE SON DIFICILES DE ELIMINAR CUANDO UNO ESTA VIVINE EN OTRO IDIOMA Y PARA QUE LA GENTE NOS ENTIENDA Y NOSOTROS NOS PODAMOS ADAPTAR A ELLOS NOS CAMBIA LA PERSONALIDAD
EN UNA DE LAS COSAS QUE SUFRO HOY DIA Y NOSE COMO PODER VOLVER A SER YO EN UN PAIS QEU SE HABLA Y TRASMITE EN OTRO IDIOMA Y CULTURA
GRACIAS
IANINIA
Old April 20, 2010, 11:25 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I speak Chinese but not that often. I use Chinese for lots of Chinese dishes that I do not know the English translation (or I rather use the Chinese name)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: