Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

The history of the piñata!

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old February 07, 2016, 03:40 AM
Opal

Native Language: Australian English
kimma is on a distinguished road
The history of the piñata!

I have been given a paragraph in my Spanish class. I don't have to translate it, just answer a few verdadero o falso questions about it. But I thought I'd give it a go anyway. If there are weird spellings it's probably auto correct fighting with me.

Please let me know if I have missed any nuances, as I am having to guess some of it from context. Also, is the original paragraph well written? Some of it seems to run on without conjugations. Do I just need to recalibrate for Spanish?

Gracias a todos!

Original paragraph:

La tradición de la piñata Es originalmente italiana, con el tiempo esta tradición se adoptó en Larinamérica y en España. La piñata se hace hoy en día de papel representando diferentes personajes o animales. La piñata también se hace en algunos países con una Lola de barro la cual se envuelve con papel y se llena de frutas y dulces. Luego un niño con los ojos vendados y un poco mareado de Dar tantas vueltas como su edad, tiene que romper la piñata con un palo en la mano. Los dulces, los chocolates y las frutas caen como lluvia al suelo, los niños se tiran como pirañas a recoger cuanto caramelo puedan. Esta es una tradicíon que ha existido por 450 años en los países hispánicos.

My translation:

The tradition of the pinata is originally Italian. With time, this tradition was adopted in Latin America and Spain. Nowadays the pinata is made of paper representing different characters and animals. In some countries it is also made of a clay pot wrapped in paper and is full of fruit and lollies. Then a blindfolded kid, who is made a bit dizzy by spinning them around as many times as their age, has to break the pinata with a stick in their hand. The lollies, chocolates and fruits fall like rain onto the ground and the kids launch themselves like pirahnas to collect as many as they can. This is a tradition that has existed for 450 years in Hispanic countries.

Last edited by kimma; February 07, 2016 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old February 07, 2016, 08:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The original paragraph has some typos, but I suppose they were introduced by you.
Run-on sentences are common in Spanish. Perhaps you meant punctuation when you said conjugations.

Your translation is pretty good. The gist of the story is pretty well presented.

You have a few misspelled words: piñata and piranha
Old February 07, 2016, 11:58 PM
Opal

Thanks for the feedback Rusty

I had assumed that written in English piñata wouldn't have the tilde. It's easy enough to add it when I'm typing on an iPad but on a normal keyboard, it's hard to put any of the marks in.

The run on sentence I meant was

"Los dulces, los chocolates y las frutas caen como lluvia al suelo, los niños se tiran como pirañas a recoger cuanto caramelo puedan."

It seems to be 2 separate clauses with nothing to join them. Just a comma where I would expect an "and", which is why I added one in my translation. Am I missing something about the sentence?
Old February 08, 2016, 05:19 AM
Señor Speedy

The comma after suelo would be rendered as a full stop (period) in English.
Adding an 'and' is OK, in English, but a period would still need to be there to get good marks.

The first run-on sentence is at the beginning of the paragraph, beginning with 'con el tiempo'. That's most definitely a new thought, so it should be a new sentence.
Old February 08, 2016, 05:29 AM
Opal

I just realised it should say "also, in some countries, it is made from a clay pot..." Rather than "In some countries it is also made from a clay pot..." Least i think it should.

Do you think that is a better translation?
Old February 08, 2016, 03:18 PM
Señor Speedy

The piñata is also made in some countries ...

The text in Spanish can be translated directly, so I wouldn't break it up with the clauses.
Old February 25, 2016, 08:07 AM
Emerald

Native Language: castellano (second language Italian)
pinosilano is on a distinguished road
La Pignata italiana, manufacto de greda, servía para cocinar a fuego lento comidas. En efecto, las pignate se cilocaban temprano cerca del fuego de la chimenea y así se dejaba hasta cuando no estuviera todo cocido.

Tags
piñata

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: