Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Is There Another Language Apart From Spanish Used in Argentina?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old February 03, 2019, 10:07 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Besides the well known languages from the pueblos originarios like Kechua and Guarani, we have Mapuzungun, Q'om, Aymará, Mocoví and a dozen more, and lots of vocabulary from those entered the language (pampa, cancha, chacra, ñaupa, yapa, locro, chauchas, guano, garúa, zapallo, pilcha, pucho, poncho

But most of the languages that are natively spoken in Argentina come from the Old World. Maybe 1 in 150 native speaker of Welsh live in Argentina, however there are other languages spoken in large numbers like French, Mandarin, Cantonese, English, Plautdietsch or Yiddish. All dialects in Italy are represented and there are numerous groups who speak Lao, Farsi and many more.

Lots of slang words come from those languages, and English speakers surely (or probably) would understand these very common ones: tuje(s) (the arse, the buttocks, from Yiddish "tuches"), bondi (bus, from English "bond" -financial term-), bacán (rich person, from English "back hands"), chimichurri (from "Jimmy" Curry, official from the 71th Regiment on Foot); or contemporary, like chatear (just last night I heard estandapero -stand up comedian- for the first time).

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 07, 2019, 04:45 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Argentina is also home to the largest Welsh-speaking population outside of Wales.
I would be inclined to say it's the only Welsh speaking community outside of Wales. Apart from that many Welsh people don't speak Welsh.
Old February 07, 2019, 06:16 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
It seems so rare, like Catalan in Sardinia. I have read that there is an Italian/Spanish dialect called Lunfardo spoken in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. I have also heard of Portuñol which Wikipedia states is used in parts of Uruguay and Brazil. Working for years in Union City, which at the time was a Cuban community with a Brazilian immigrant population, I have had the exhausting but fun task of speaking with people who have used what I believe to be Portuñol as a lingua franca. As Anglo with no working knowledge of Portuguese, this was an added layer of complication for me. I wouldn't be surprised if this pidgin language is also spoken in border towns in Argentina and Brazil.
Old March 08, 2019, 05:55 AM
Opal

JaneAzuka is on a distinguished road
Living in Argentina now, I would say the largest spoken language is Spanish or Castellano. The lumfardo is very different than all other forms of Spanish in Latin America. Words that are normally pronounced with a y, here are spoken with a shhh. They also use the vos much more than tu.
Old March 24, 2019, 05:43 PM
Opal

I am learning spanis is on a distinguished road
Muy guay, no se ese Nativos Americanos tienen un grande influencia a el idioma en Argentina. ¿Sabes algunos palabras ese ellos tienen influenciado en Argentina?
Old March 24, 2019, 08:16 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Es seguro que hay muchas palabras. Palta, mandioca y choclo son tres comestibles conocidos en Argentina.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: