Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

"See you later"...which one is which?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old April 07, 2015, 04:55 PM
Opal

valhalla is on a distinguished road
"See you later"...which one is which?

I was checking that what I had for "See you later" was correct and I found many different people and sites saying conflicting things. There is a Youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHctS8erhx4 where the girl is telling us that "See you later" is De veo despues and she even has it written on the screen along with the pronunciation...[day-Vay-o Des-pwace] But when I Google De veo despues it does not find anything and in fact it corrects it with Te veo despues. I cannot find De veo despues anywhere. In the comments of the Youtube video people are correcting her saying it is Te veo despues. Then I'm finding the following also for "See you later" : Hasta luego, Te veo luego, Nos vemos and who knows how many others. I realize you cannot necessarily do a direct translation but this phrase is all over the place. I would like to know what people in Spain say that is the equivalent to "See you later" which to me is a casual way of departing like with a friend that you probably will see sometime relatively soon, kind of like "Take it easy", which has a similar "flavor" or effect but really means something different.

Can someone please clear this all up for me with details of literal meanings and what thought is being expressed by each etc.?

Gracias!

Valhalla

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 07, 2015, 05:07 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The video, of course, presents a poor spelling of two words - 'te' and 'después'.

The common ways to express "See you later" are well represented in the comment section for that video. If you didn't notice, most of the comments were correcting the poor Spanish presented in the video.
Old April 08, 2015, 04:57 PM
Opal

valhalla is on a distinguished road
Hola Rusty... Thanks for responding. I thought Mahalo.com was a reputable site but I'm starting to wonder. I don't understand how this lady could get it so wrong especially if she is Spanish? Could this be a Mexican thing? As I am learning languages, Spanish in this case, I try to learn all the different ways of expressing the thought and how they differ.

Please correct me if I am wrong....
1) A somewhat literal translation of "Te veo después " is "I see you after", but the meaning being conveyed is essentially "I'll see you later" just an informal, causal way of saying bye and parting.

2) "Hasta luego" literally is "up to then" or "until then" but the meaning conveyed is "See you later", "See you" or "later.." This is what I mean when I say "See you later". This is not saying that you actually will see them at any general time like that night or whatever...just another point in time...or again.

3) Nos vemos - Literally is "us see" but means "see you" or "We'll see you" Yes? No? And Nos vemos mañana is See you tomorrow...or We'll see you tomorrow ???

4) Te veo luego - literally is pretty much "See you later" or "See you after" but meaning, obvisouly, see you later.

And is the difference between Te and Te' that the first is masculine and the second is feminine?

I hope you are into this.... and don't mind this kind of conversation and questions...

Gracias!
Old April 08, 2015, 07:51 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
1) The present tense in Spanish is also used to convey the idea of a near future. So, 'te veo' means 'I see you, I do see you, I am seeing you, and I'll see you (soon)'. I think this is the least likely way to express the idiomatic "I'll see you later."

2) Literally, 'until later' is used quite often to mean the idiomatic expression "I'll see you later."

3) Literally, 'we'll see each other', 'nos vemos' is very commonly used to express "I'll see you later." If you add 'mañana', it defines the time when you'll see each other again.

4) Literally, "I'll see you later" is used and it loosely defines when the next meeting will be.

The word 'te', with no written accent mark, is an object pronoun. It is used to represent both a male and a female second person (someone you are addressing).
The word '', with an accent mark appearing over the vowel, it is a homonym of 'te' (both words sound exactly alike), but this word is the noun 'tea'. The accent mark is added to differentiate between the object pronoun and the noun.

By the way, the accent mark can be easily added to a vowel by using the "Accents" drop-down menu just above where you type. You can also use the same menu to insert an upside-down exclamation point, which is required to correctly write "¡Gracias!"

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: