Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

I'm meeting / I'll meet

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 06, 2010, 08:57 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
I'm meeting / I'll meet

-Choose the correct form

A:
What are you up tonight?
B: I'm meeting / I'll meet some friends.

I think the correct one is the first one (I'm meeting), or at least the most common, but I'm not sure why... maybe because the second choise has a space for doubt and the first one is surely happening and, in conclusion, you need more context to choose one? The teacher said, to make it simplier for us, that both are correct, but if you go on deeper on them it's not really like that. I'll appreciate an explanation.

Thanks, goodbye.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 06, 2010, 09:51 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
-Choose the correct form

A: What are you up to tonight?

I think the correct one is the first one (I'm meeting), or at least the most common, but I'm not sure why... maybe because the second choise has a space for doubt and the first one is surely happening and, in conclusion, you need more context to choose one? The teacher said, to make it simplier for us, that both are correct, but if you go on deeper on them it's not really like that. I'll appreciate an explanation.

Thanks, goodbye.
Your teacher is right they are both correct. (you can also say I going to meet some friends) The second choice would be used less however.
Old April 06, 2010, 10:57 AM
Ruby

NiCACHiCA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Your teacher is right they are both correct. (you can also say I am/(I'm) going to meet some friends) The second choice would be used less however.

Quote:
-Choose the correct form

A:
What are you up tonight?

Thanks, goodbye.

The second choice may be correct, but it doesn't sound right to me. "I'm meeting some friends" or "I'm going to meet some friends" are the best choices. Although "I'm meeting some friends" sounds a little awkward to me. I think I would either say "I'm meeting up with some friends" (as in I'm hanging out with some friends) or "I'm meeting some friends for dinner/at the movies/etc.

As for why the first choice is correct (& why the second choice sounds awkward), I think it may be similar to saying "te llamo" when you are going to call someone later that day, which would technically be in the future, but you use the present tense because it's near future?? ..."te llamaré" would sound awkward, right?

(For the record, I'm no grammar/english expert by any means...I just speak it!! )
Old April 06, 2010, 11:24 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Context changes everything. Where "I'm meeting some friends is more common, here's a couple of examples in which I'll meet some friends sounds OK:
A worried mother may ask, "What are you doing tonite? Are you going out alone?

The rebellious teenage daughter may answer, " I'll meet some friends" (with the accent on the I'll)
or" Don't worry about about me. I'll meet some friends"

another example:
"I don't want to go to the party tomorrow night"
"Why?"
"I don't know anyone there"
"Don't worry you'll meet some friends"
or Don't worry you'll meet some new friends"
'
Old April 06, 2010, 01:04 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
-Choose the correct form

A:
What are you up to tonight?
The question is in the present tense, so an answer in the present tense is more natural. The real question is why A asks "What are you up to tonight?" rather than "What will you do tonight?"

I think the latter is more what you'd ask if you're worried about someone because of circumstances which can't be fixed until tomorrow. But I can't give you a rule for why.
Old April 06, 2010, 02:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
-Choose the correct form

A:
What are you up tonight?

Thanks, goodbye.
In your question, the second choice is the better.

What're you tonight.

I'm meeting any friends in the party.
Because in the first one, you still will know to the friends, I mean, yours ones.

I hope that you can understand me.
Old April 07, 2010, 11:46 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for your answers, now I understand it better.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: