Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¿Eres otra persona al hablar otro idioma?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old August 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Maria Jose, I ask you a favor, I need your answer for my last post.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Maria Jose, I ask you a favor, I need your answer for my last post.
I'm sorry, Crotalito. I thought I had already answered you in post 17. I'm simply talking about my own personal experience, and you are talking about yours. English is such a vital part of my life, that I think (I might be wrong) that it has changed my personality, my perception of the world and even my family life.But this is just me. You have a different experience and it's ok too. We are just different people.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:42 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
I'm sorry, Crotalito. I thought I had already answered you in post 17. I'm simply talking about my own personal experience, and you are talking about yours. English is such a vital part of my life, that I think (I might be wrong) that it has changed my personality, my perception of the world and even my family life.But this is just me. You have a different experience and it's ok too. We are just different people.
Naturally learning a new language will change you because it expands your
horizons(as in learning anything big), but do you think differently in English than in Spanish? Do you feel like a different person when you speak the different language? I used to think I did, but now I know it was just circumstance that made me feel different. I imagine in extreme cases of multiple character disorder (like Sibyl) a person can develop an alter ego that speaks another language.
Old August 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
Diamond

Yes, Poli as you have said about of the change of a person only because he knows English, perhaps the person change a lil, but I don't believe that he'll change much, well, at least, only I have changed when I knew what I could communicate with other people of another contries, and it's really wonderful, because you work hard for learn the language wished, and when you fulfill the aim in your life, it feel very well, altough you need learn more about it, today I've used to daily in my life in my work and with us, for can I speak with us, and yes I've changed my life only in the way of think now, I try to think with us, altough I never will can speak same as you, but I'll can speak of a form similary not exact but almost same, I've changed in the way of express my ideas with the people of other places, now all todays, I want speak with someone who speak English, I suppose that you feel almost the same thing with you need practice your Spanish, and Maria Jose, you have more time with the language you have more experience in the thread, I correct the before said in my last post, the people change a bit in your life.
Old August 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yes, Poli as you have said about of the change of a person only because he knows English, perhaps the person change a lil, but I don't believe that he'll change much, well, at least, only I have changed when I knew what I could communicate with other people of another contries, and it's really wonderful, because you work hard for learn the language wished, and when you fulfill the aim in your life, it feel very well, altough you need learn more about it, today I've used to daily in my life in my work and with us, for can I speak with us, and yes I've changed my life only in the way of think now, I try to think with us, altough I never will can speak same as you, but I'll can speak of a form similary not exact but almost same, I've changed in the way of express my ideas with the people of other places, now all todays, I want speak with someone who speak English, I suppose that you feel almost the same thing with you need practice your Spanish, and Maria Jose, you have more time with the language you have more experience in the thread, I correct the before said in my last post, the people change a bit in your life.
Here are just a few of the corrections:

... perhaps the person will change a little, but I don't believe that he'll change much ...

... only I have only changed when I knew that I could communicate with other people from other countries ...

... because you work hard to learn the desired language wished ...

... I never will be able to speak the same as you, but I'll be able to speak of a form similary in a similar way ...
-or- I'll never be able to speak

... not exactly, but almost the same ...

... I've changed in the way of expressing my ideas with the people from other places ...

... nowadays, I want to speak with someone who speaks English ...

... I suppose that you feel almost the same thing when you need to practice your Spanish ...

Last edited by Rusty; August 21, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old August 21, 2008, 04:55 PM
Diamond

Thanks for your corrections Rusty, How always you are to me of great help in my learning.
Old August 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thanks for your corrections Rusty. You're always of great help to me in my learning.
You're welcome!
Old August 21, 2008, 05:16 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'll keep on being weird alone or with Marsopa. What I really mean is that even if it doesn't make any sense to you, I feel more English than Spanish.But I think I don't suffer from any serious personality disorders.
Who's Sybil, by the way, Poli? I couldn't open the link.
I hate showing off (even though I do it quite often ), but I have this English neighbour who's got twin daughters who are quite good friends with my youngest. Well, the thing is the other day we were talking and she said to me " It's not fair, your children talk to each other in English all the time and mine don't and you are not even English".(Oh,my God, I'm starting to sound like Vicky Pollard).
I'm sure her children will learn too; bilingual children all learn differently.
What I mean is the place where you were born doesn't determine who you are, your life and the way you live it does that.
Just an opinion, guys.
Sorry for the long post.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
Ok, I'll keep on being weird alone or with Marsopa. What I really mean is that even if it doesn't make any sense to you, I feel more English than Spanish.But I think I don't suffer from any serious personality disorders.
Who's Sybil, by the way, Poli? I couldn't open the link.
I hate showing off (even though I do it quite often ), but I have this English neighbour who's got twin daughters who are quite good friends with my youngest. Well, the thing is the other day we were talking and she said to me " It's not fair, your children talk to each other in English all the time and mine don't and you are not even English".(Oh,my God, I'm starting to sound like Vicky Pollard).
I'm sure her children will learn too; bilingual children all learn differently.
What I mean is the place where you were born doesn't determine who you are, your life and the way you live it does that.
Just an opinion, guys.
Sorry for the long post.
Estoy de acuerdo. Estás completamente versada en dos idiomas(y culturas) y prefieres uno sobre el otro. Sibyl era una protagonista gue sufrió con multi-personality disorder en que ella tenía varias personas en su cuerpo que eran distintas y algunos no conocían uno del otro. No se si es una ficción o una historia ficcionalizada. Es verdad que donde una persona se nace no tiene que reglar su vida aunque a veces se ocurra asi.
No tiene que disculpar un hilo si es largo si es interesante.
Old August 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
Diamond

Siby, her was a person with problems of the head, she suffered with her life if she had many personalities disorders.

I don't meet the history about of she.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: