Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¿¿¡¡que!!??

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 26, 2009, 04:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
¿¿¡¡que!!??

I have noticed in many places that "que" is used at the beginning of a short statement that is not a question. What does this signify? I have had trouble understanding...

Examples:
- ¡Que viva el Viernes! - I know that the intent is that it's good that it's Friday. How does "que" fit in here?
- Que alegre. - Not quite sure what this means. I know what "alegre" means ... but not the whole statement.
- ¡Que lástima! - Does this mean "what a shame"?
- Que alegria que te guste tanto. - a friend wrote this on my Facebook wall (I said that I liked the plant that she got me for my new house). I get it that she's saying that she's glad that I like it (the plant). I don't get the "que" and I don't get the "guste" conjugation.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 26, 2009, 04:38 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I have noticed in many places that "que" is used at the beginning of a short statement that is not a question. What does this signify? I have had trouble understanding...

Examples:
- ¡Que viva el Viernes! - I know that the intent is that it's good that it's Friday. How does "que" fit in here? This is an expression. "Que viva....." as in "Long live...." e.g. "Que viva el rey", often used without the "que". "Viva el rey", Long live the king! With "Viva el viernes" it's the same only in English you'd probably say something like TGIF (Thank God It's Friday).
- Que alegre. - Not quite sure what this means. I know what "alegre" means ... but not the whole statement. Here the "Que" would be translated as "How..." "Que alegre estás" How happy you look.
- ¡Que lástima! - Does this mean "what a shame"? Yes
- Que alegria que te guste tanto. - a friend wrote this on my Facebook wall (I said that I liked the plant that she got me for my new house). I get it that she's saying that she's glad that I like it (the plant). I don't get the "que" and I don't get the "guste" conjugation. Again the "How" meaning for "Que" as in How happy I am that you liked it (literal translation). The "guste" is the subjunctive form of "gustar.
Espero que hayas entendido.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:48 AM
Diamond

Thank you!!! And, yes - I definitely understand your explanations. Thank you. Two follow-up questions...

1) Would you mind giving me some more examples of "que" used this way? That would be very helpful!

2) I haven't really started working with the subjunctive yet, so I only have a very superficial understanding of it. Can you explain to me a bit more why she wouldn't have used "te gusta" instead? What is the subtle difference in meaning there?

Thank you again!!
Old April 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Thank you!!! And, yes - I definitely understand your explanations. Thank you. Two follow-up questions...

1) Would you mind giving me some more examples of "que" used this way? That would be very helpful!

2) I haven't really started working with the subjunctive yet, so I only have a very superficial understanding of it. Can you explain to me a bit more why she wouldn't have used "te gusta" instead? What is the subtle difference in meaning there?

Thank you again!!
1) Ok. I'll give you the example and you try and figure out what it means.

Someone looking at the "Sagrada Familia" in Barcelona: ¡Que maravilla!
A child looking at an elephant: ¡Que grande!
An American tasting a dish of mushy peas: ¡Que asco!
Someone tells you their dog has died: ¡Que pena!

2) This is a grammar question I'm afraid and I wouldn't want to mess you up if you haven't studied it yet. It's just that with clauses starting with "que" you have to use the subjunctive. i.e. in the example you gave ¡Que alegría que te guste! - I'm so happy THAT you like it. "that" being the equivalent of "que" OK?
So how would you say: What a shame/pity that you don't like it.
Old April 26, 2009, 10:37 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambarina View Post
1) Ok. I'll give you the example and you try and figure out what it means.

Someone looking at the "Sagrada Familia" in Barcelona: ¡Que maravilla! ' not sure of this one because - "What a wonder!"
A child looking at an elephant: ¡Que grande! - "How huge!"
An American tasting a dish of mushy peas: ¡Que asco! - "How disgusting!"
Someone tells you their dog has died: ¡Que pena! - "What a sorrow!" (Although we wouldn't quite say that....)

2) This is a grammar question I'm afraid and I wouldn't want to mess you up if you haven't studied it yet. It's just that with clauses starting with "que" you have to use the subjunctive. i.e. in the example you gave ¡Que alegría que te guste! - I'm so happy THAT you like it. "that" being the equivalent of "que" OK?
So how would you say: What a shame/pity that you don't like it.

How about this: "Que lástima que no te guste." ??
COOL! The teacher has put me to work! ¡Que fantástico! (Right?)
Old April 26, 2009, 10:52 AM
Emerald

Quote:
COOL! The teacher has put me to work! ¡Que fantástico! Riiiiiiight!

Someone looking at the "Sagrada Familia" in Barcelona: ¡Que maravilla! ' not sure of this one because - "What a wonder!"
A child looking at an elephant: ¡Que grande! - "How huge!"
An American tasting a dish of mushy peas: ¡Que asco! - "How disgusting!"
Someone tells you their dog has died: ¡Que pena! - "What a sorrow!" (Although we wouldn't quite say that....) But you might say "What a pity"

How about this: "Que lástima que no te guste." ¡Perfecto! And you could also use "pena" instead of "lástima". Get my drift? - see correlation with previous sentence.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:01 AM
Diamond

Ahhh - I see. Are stima and pena more or less synonyms?

Thank you!!
Old April 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Ahhh - I see. Are stima and pena more or less synonyms?
Thank you!! Of nothing
Yes. Like shame and pity in "What a shame!" "What a pity!"
Old April 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
¡Que bonita explicación!
Old April 29, 2009, 12:37 PM
Diamond

irmamar is on a distinguished road
I thought that "shame" meant "vergüenza" and "pity", "pena"