Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Many Questions about negative and indefinite words

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old November 04, 2014, 02:55 PM
Opal

cjcrawford is on a distinguished road
Many Questions about negative and indefinite words

Hola - I'm using the Ultimate Spanish CDs at the moment for review and practice. They're quite good. In one section however, I have many questions (as I have had on this topic before).

I'm supposed to answer each question in the negative. Answers are provided.

1. Q: Fuiste alguna vez a la Isla de Pascua? A:No, no fui nunca.

The answer makes perfect sense and seems the only logical choice but I'm not sure how to translate the question - Have you ever been too Easter Island?? How about: Fuiste a la Isla de Pascua? or Fuiste una vez a al Isla de Pascua? I'm getting hung up on the "ever" part in English. In Italiano: Sei stato mai a la Isola di Pasqua?

2. Q: Va Isabel a tomar algebra otra vez? A: No, no va a tomar algebra nunca mas.

The question would be: Is Isabel going to take algebra again? Nunca mas in the answer feels like - Never more will she take algebra. Could I just reply: No, no va a tomar algebra otra vez (no, she won't take it again)?

3. Q: Algunos jefes renunciaron al puesto? A: No, ninguno (ningun jefe) renuncio al puesto.

confused about the question - Have some of the bosses resigned their post? A few of the bosses...? Have any of the bosses...? Could I have said: Unos jefes ren....? Could the answer have been: No, nadie renun...

4. Q: Conocio Osvaldo a alguien por fin? A: No, no conocio a nadie.

Could the answer have been: No, no conocio a ninguno. ?

5. Q: Quedan algunos duraznos? A: No, no queda ninguno

Why can't the answer be: No, no quedan ningunos. ? Does it always stay singular in the negative reply? Is it the difference between: There are not any left. and There isn't one left?

6. Q: Siempre limpias la casa los sabados? A: No, nunca limpio la casa los sabados.

Ok, that sounds good. What if I had wanted to say: Do you still clean the house on Saturdays? No, not any more. How does this sound:
Todavia limpias la casa los saboados? No, nunca mas. ?

7: Q: Has visto a alguna de las empleadas? No, no he visto a ninguna

could the question have been: Has visto a una de las empleadas. ? and could the answer have been: No, no he visto a nadie. ? Is that the difference between: No, I haven't seen any of them. and no, I have seen no one?

It could be that multiple choices are all correct but I'm just exploring the nuances and trying to get a feel for when I really sound non-native.

Thanks for all the advice.

Chris

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: