Old May 28, 2017, 03:29 AM
Opal

Petahpie is on a distinguished road
Hello from a first time language learner

Hi, I'm Peter!

I'm in a university level Spanish 1 class, though I've taken a test that said I was at the high end of Spanish 2 level, I wanted to make sure my basics are solid because I haven't had any formal training since maybe 9th grade (I'm 27 now). I have a mother and sister who both speak spanish at a high enough level to spend time in Latin American countries, and while I don't live with them, having them just a phone call away is an advantage. I also have a baby sister who is fluent in both German and French, so her knowledge of how to learn languages is key.

My goal is to be fluent enough to go on trips with my sister or mother, and depending on life, potentially live outside of the US for a time.

Not sure how much time I'll be able to spend on here with life - in school, working, 3 yr old kid, but it looked like a cool spot to connect with fellow learners.

I have one small question. I was interested in getting some simple books in spanish, maybe short YA novels or something (ideally something written in spanish, NOT in translation). I'm sure I won't be able to sit and read straight through, but my sister said trying to slog through, underlining all of the unknown words and looking them up can be helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions for easy reads, or where to cheaply get spanish books in the US?

Anyhow, hello and hope to speak to you all soon. Cheers!

-Peter

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 28, 2017, 04:10 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums, Peter!

As far as books written in Spanish, I looked around in the forums a bit. Novels can be obtained, as can comic books and newspapers/magazines. I believe the best for you would be something that you're interested in reading about.

There are suggestions about the best books for a Spanish course.

If current events are something that interest you, a good newspaper written in Spanish may be enough to get you the results you're looking for.
Old May 28, 2017, 04:34 AM
Opal

Petahpie is on a distinguished road
Eso es un idea bien, Rusty! Cuando mi hermana me dijo escribir en un libro, casi llore porque me encanta mis libros y NUNCA escribo en ellos! Mis libros son personas para mi, pero un periodico no es una persona.
Old May 28, 2017, 05:00 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Gracias. Entonces, espero que te ayuden los periódicos.

Hay un menú justo arriba de la caja donde escribes tu mensaje, designada 'Accents'. En él, puedes hallar todos los carácteres que necesitas para escribir en español.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petahpie View Post
¡Esa es una idea buena, Rusty! Cuando mi hermana me dijo escribir en un libro, casi lloré porque me encantan mis libros y ¡NUNCA escribo en ellos! Mis libros son personas para mí, pero un periódico no es una persona.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: