Old February 14, 2009, 09:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Oh, you are SO right! When I'm trying to figure out what I want to say in Spanish - I often realize that my English probably ought NOT be translated directly because it is SO figurative. And I probably use figurative speech more than a lot of people because my mother uses idioms and figures of speech and little sayings for almost everything (she always has), and I have definitely picked that up from her!
There you go. I always tell my people the better you think what you want to say in your language, the better it will be translated to the other language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Yes - I'm sure that all languages have their idio(T)syncracies. And I'm always impressed to hear someone who speaks English as something OTHER THAN their first language create "plays on words", as you just did. I think the humor shows a level of mastery that I can only hope to someday attain in my Spanish.....
And in no time, I am sure. After all: you know how to read, write and most important of all, express yourself correctly in your language. You have more than half of the battle already won! :-)

Thank you for your comment. Far from being a master. Angelica, Rusty David; They know the true mastery of a language as they are versed in grammar, which is a great void in my sphere up there... :-)

Do not forget that I have been in this country for 30 years now, and that has to carry some weight.

Ain't that peachy!

Hernan.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Tags
belly, panza, tummy

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: