Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Rusty and total immersion

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old July 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
In your post I could to see that you command English almost pefectly, I hardly saw any mistakes in your post it's almost is perfect, in fact I'm surprised that it is possible that your knowledge of English can be so clear (?), also I'm glad that you're learning and improving your Spanish with your friendly chats, it's turning out well for the moment , but it isn't sufficient (/enough).
Hola CrOtALiTo !
¡¡¡ Muchas gracias por tus cumplidos y tus consejos !!
¡ Eres bastante amable! (quizás demasiado.. )

I agree with the points you mentioned here, it is quite difficult to take the level from good to very good. This will be a challenge in due time, I am sure. But I would really like to because I think Spanish is a wonderful language!

Quote:

If you need help, I can recommend you, if you have the chance to find some place in your country where you can practice the language as soon as you can do it, because when people are motivated with someone, it is easier to learn whatever they want to learn than when not.

I know that to find some place where you can practice can be hard especially where you live, but I believe that some schools must offer some classes in it/ in Spanish.

Good luck with (the) leaning , and I'll wait to see if I can help you.
¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! Estoy segura que voy a necesitar tu ayuda de menudo.. It' s true, not a lot of people speak Spanish here, I do live in Amsterdam, so this offers a few possibilities but not abundantly so. None of my friends speak it. Yes there are classes but this is hard to combine with work. I have been lucky to make some new friends from Spain, Mexico and Argentina.

If I in turn can help you as well, I will be very happy to!
Thank you so much for your encouraging words you are very kind.

By the way, Mexico is an amazingly beautiful country and the Mexicans that I met when I was there a few years ago were so kind and helpful!

I just wish it was a bit closer so it would be easier for me to return and see much more of your county.

Last edited by EmpanadaRica; July 26, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:45 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I had some friends in the Netherlands and they were also very kind. I've been once in Holland and I fell in love with your country and with your people. There people speak English as well as Dutch, or that's my feeling. I also learnt a few words in Dutch, but it's a bit difficult language, you put together a lot of words and you have very long words with a lot of /j/ really difficult to pronunciate.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I had some friends in the Netherlands and they were also very kind. I've been once in Holland and I fell in love with your country and with your people. There people speak English as well as Dutch, or that's my feeling. I also learnt a few words in Dutch, but it's a bit difficult language, you put together a lot of words and you have very long words with a lot of /j/ really difficult to pronunciate.
Haha

I'm glad my country and compatriots left a good impression on you!
I have been in Spain a few times as well and it' s a beautiful country! But it was a long time ago since I have been there, so of course for my studies (and only for that of course.. ) I need to return soon.... And of course meet all my new friends and sample all the wonderful dishes I have been reading about..

You' re right, the pronunciation is one of the hardest things about my native language, as is wordorder (the verbs however are so much more simple and a lot easier to master than in Spanish..). But in case you are thinking about wanting to learn some, just let me know..
Old July 27, 2009, 12:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Yes, I'd like to learn Dutch, but I have no time now. Anyway, I take note of your kind offer
Old July 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
Hola CrOtALiTo !
¡¡¡ Muchas gracias por tus cumplidos y tus consejos !!
¡ Eres bastante amable! (quizás demasiado.. )

I agree with the points you mentioned here, it is quite difficult to take the level from good to very good. This will be a challenge in due time, I am sure. But I would really like to because I think Spanish is a wonderful language!

¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!! Estoy segura que voy a necesitar tu ayuda de menudo.. It' s true, not a lot of people speak Spanish here, I do live in Amsterdam, so this offers a few possibilities but not abundantly so. None of my friends speak it. Yes there are classes but this is hard to combine with work. I have been lucky to make some new friends from Spain, Mexico and Argentina.

If I in turn can help you as well, I will be very happy to!
Thank you so much for your encouraging words you are very kind.

By the way, Mexico is an amazingly beautiful country and the Mexicans that I met when I was there a few years ago were so kind and helpful!

I just wish it was a bit closer so it would be easier for me to return and see much more of your county.

Thank you for the hint.

I written sufficient instead of enough.

Although they together sound like.

Of course when you need to help in Spanish, I'll be glad in help you and give you support.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:25 PM
Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Thank you for the hint.

I written sufficient instead of enough.

Although they together sound like.

Of course when you need to help in Spanish, I'll be glad in help you and give you support.
Hola CrOtALiTo
' Sufficient' and ' enough' can both be used more or less interchangeably as adjective ('It is sufficient' or 'it is enough').

However in your original post you used it as a verb ('but it doesn't sufficient'). The verb would be 'to suffice' , so in that case you would have to say 'it doesn't suffice' (which is also fine).

Si tienes razón, son muy parecidas estas palabras.

Thank you for your offer of help, I will need your help often I think!! ¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!!
Old July 28, 2009, 05:42 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I really think that for adults submersion should be preceeded by basic grammar, vocabulary and, in the case of Spanish,knowledge verb forms. Without that knowledge, submersion can be a very alienating experience.

A student's own motivation is the most valuable tool.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hola CrOtALiTo
' Sufficient' and ' enough' can both be used more or less interchangeably as adjective ('It is sufficient' or 'it is enough').

However in your original post you used it as a verb ('but it doesn't sufficient'). The verb would be 'to suffice' , so in that case you would have to say 'it doesn't suffice' (which is also fine).

Si tienes razón, son muy parecidas estas palabras.

Thank you for your offer of help, I will need your help often I think!! ¡¡¡Muchas gracias!!!
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Even although, I'm not a English native, sometimes I feel that my English can be getting better.

Whatever, if you need to help in Spanish, please you don't hesitate to ask me whatever.
Old August 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ps I only just noticed the little 'accents' bar in the posting options, it's excellent!!! Does anyone know if there is any way this can be downloaded and integrated into hotmail for instance, because making accents on my keyboard gives me a headache sometimes..
You could try an addon for firefox web browser. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7169 I'm going to evaluate this one. CTRL+~ then n is supposed to give you ñ.

Or you could use the character map available in all operating systems that I have used from windows 98 to linux to windows vista. Kind of slow. A little faster is memorizing the number of the character and press ALT+Number for example ñ is ALT+0241. Vista shows this number in the character map.

I like the way my google phone does the characters. You long press a letter and if available it gives the accented character. If you could do this in vista it would be great.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:52 PM
Sapphire

¡Muchas gracias Chris! I think I will go and try the add-ons (a very good idea!) and if that doesn't work I can memorize the ALT combinations (I knew about those just wanted to find a better sollution )

Thanx a lot for your suggestions!
Want to learn Dutch? Have a look here

Tags
acquisition, i + 1, immersion, language acquisition, linguistics, stephen krashen, total immersion

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: