Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Practice: niño texano muy grande

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old July 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Practice: niño texano muy grande

Hello,
I tried to make some practice by translating from Italian to Spanish some news about a newborn baby from Texas. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes and your corrections and hints about grammar and syntax are very welcome.

--------

In Texas ha nacido con un parto cesareo un niño que tiene un peso extraordinario: JaMichael Brown pesa casi siete kilos y medio. El niño ha sido inmediatamente transferido en el departamento de terapia intensiva neonatal de el Good Shepherd Medical Center de Longview, por un problema de elevación de la glicemia. Pero ahora está bien.

JaMichael, cuarto figlio y primero macho por la señora Janet, es ya mas grande de un niño de tres meses y las camas de la nursery son también pequeños por ello.

Su mama ahora está preocupada por el armario del recién llegado: es pieno de pajamas, mallas y zapatas por niños de menos de un mes, que deberán ser cambiados con algo de mas grande.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 12, 2011, 11:24 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Hello,
I tried to make some practice by translating from Italian to Spanish some news about a newborn baby from Texas. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes and your corrections and hints about grammar and syntax are very welcome.

--------

En Tejas ha nacido con un parto cesareo por cesárea (or por un parto abdominal) un niño que tiene un peso extraordinario: JaMichael Brown pesa casi siete kilos y medio. El niño ha sido inmediatamente transferido inmediatamente en el al departamento de terapia intensiva neonatal de el del Good Shepherd Medical Center de Longview, por un problema de elevación de la glicemia hyperglucemia. Pero ahora está bien.

JaMichael, el cuarto figlio hijo y el primero primer macho varón (or varoncito) por de la señora Janet Johnson, es ya es más grande de que un niño de tres meses y las camas de la nursery sala de bebés son también demasiado pequeños por para ello él.

Ahora su mamá ahora está preocupada por el armario del recién llegado (or nacido): es está pieno lleno de pijamas, mallas y zapatos por para niños de menos de un mes, que deberán (or deben) ser cambiados con por algo artículos de más grandes.
I've made some suggestions and corrections. I'm sure one of our native speakers will correct anything that I got wrong. Some notes:

1. "macho" means "male" when talking about animals, but when talking about people it usually refers to behavior ("masculine acting") instead of biological sex. The usual word to label the sex of male humans is "varón", and the diminutive "varoncito" is commonly used to describe a little boy.

2. I was taught that, when the titles "señor", "señora", and "señorita" are used with a person's name, one MUST say one or both family names, and the personal name is optional. "Señora Johnson" and "señora Janet Johnson" are both correct, but generally "señora Janet" is wrong.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:24 AM
Ruby

Thank you wrholt for your kind reply. I definitely have to study the differences between "por" and "para", in Italian we frequently use "per" in place of both of these words.

What is the difference between "demasiado" and "también"? Can't this latter word be used for expressing the concept of "too much"?

Finally, what is the problem with "algo de más grande"? I find many occurrences of that expression on the web and it seems to mean "something bigger", "something greater".

I was in Boston in 1976, when I was a little kid!

Last edited by wayfarer; July 13, 2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: "find" instead of "found"
Old July 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
"algo de más grande(s)" ---> highly informal

artículos (formal) de más grande (informal) ---> confusing

de más grande(s) = proper for older ones / more grown (babies, children)

I can add "incluso" to "demasiado" and "también". It has to do with a sense of speech, not with the meaning, because they are different words.

A very sad piece of news, I'd add.
Old July 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Sapphire

Quote:
Thank you wrholt for your kind reply. I definitely have to study the differences between "por" and "para", in Italian we frequently use "per" in place of both of these words.
Yes, these two prepositions cause problems for many native speakers of English, too.

Quote:
What is the difference between "demasiado" and "también"? Can't this latter word be used for expressing the concept of "too much"?
As far as I know, "también" means only "too, also, as well", and not "too much".

Quote:
Finally, what is the problem with "algo de más grande"? I find many occurrences of that expression on the web and it seems to mean "something bigger", "something greater".
aleC's response shows me that I failed to understand "algo de más grande" appropriately. "something bigger" is "algo más grande". The preposition "de" in "algo de más grande" changes the meaning, as aleC wrote.

Quote:
I was in Boston in 1976, when I was a little kid!
I wasn't in Boston in 1976. I moved back to Boston as a university student in 1977.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:50 PM
Ruby

Gracias wrholt y aleCcowaN por las ulteriores sugestiones. Vosotros tenéis razón, la palabra "también" expresa "too" en el sentido de "also" pero no en el sentido de "too much", yo hube consultado (shall I use preterito anterior here?) un dictionario online incorrecto. Es verdadero aleCcowaN, esta es una historia triste, esperamos que esto niño pueda crecer como los otros niños y hacer una vida felix.

Last edited by wayfarer; July 13, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old July 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yo hube consultado (shall I use preterito anterior here?) un dictionario online incorrecto.
"Yo he consultado", or better, "Consulté". Forms like "hube consultado" are meant for actions absolutely completed in a time before the time of speaking, so their consequences are dispelled in the present, then it's hardly used in everyday speech -when in doubt, don't use it-. I know it's not easy for a French or Italian speaker to avoid using compound tenses in the past, but here "consulté" is what describes exactly what you did, the way you did it.
Old July 13, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sapphire

Quote:
...esperamos que esto este niño pueda crecer como los otros niños...
You have used "esto" incorrectly a couple of times now. You seem to be confusing the neuter demonstrative pronouns esto, eso and aquello with the masculine singular demonstrative adjectives este, ese and aquel and the masculine singular demonstrative pronouns este/éste, ese/ése, and aquel/aquél.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:47 AM
Ruby

Tenés razón wrholt, he sido conducido una otra vez fuera del camino da el mi lenguaje nativo, nosostros usamos "questo" sea como adjectivo/pronombre masculino sea como adjectivo/pronombre neutro. Cuando hablo español yo puedo usar mis conocimientos de italiano, pero con prudencia!
Old July 14, 2011, 07:32 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Tenés razón, wrholt. Se me desvió una otra vez del camino de el mi lenguaje nativo. (nosostros) Usamos "questo" o como adjectivo/pronombre masculino o como adjectivo/pronombre neutro. Cuando hablo español (yo) puedo usar mis conocimientos del italiano, pero ¡con prudencia!
Tenés (This is the first time I've seen you use el voseo. Was this intended?)
otra vez = another time

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: