Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Help with my Spanish Study Guide

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old July 10, 2010, 06:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Can I help him Rusty?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps, but I think that depends on how much coaching he needs.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
Opal

Tabobo is on a distinguished road
The third sentence talks about a family member or brother right?
Old July 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
Señor Speedy

The first exercise contains several sentences. The third one starts with 'Yo me'. Is that the one you're asking about?
Old July 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
Opal

Oops I was talking about the fourth sentence. I am not to sure about the third. I think escuela means school and that dias is today I think.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:05 PM
Señor Speedy

Correct, escuela means school. However, 'today' isn't quite right for the other word.
Does the original contain accents over some of the vowels? When you write the sentences, make sure those accents are included. It's very important to use the accents. That's why I mentioned the 'Accents' pull-down menu. When you write the three sentences, make sure you try to put in all the special characters, including the upside-down question mark. That's also important.

Last edited by Rusty; July 10, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
Opal

What do you mean if the original has accents? And also, how would conjugate them into the right 'format'?
Old July 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
Señor Speedy

What you've written in your first post contains no accents over the vowels, as appropriate. I'm wondering if the original you copied the exercises from has them.

To conjugate a verb you need to know who the subject is. First of all, determine whether the subject is a singular noun or a plural noun. There are three persons in Spanish (just as there are in English), and each person has a singular and a plural form. If the subject is the speaker (I, in English), this is the first person. In a conjugation chart, the 1st person is listed first. Sometimes the plural form of the 1st person (we, in English) is written to its right. In the 'Conjugations' page I mentioned earlier, the plural persons follow the singular persons, so the 1st person plural conjugation is the fourth entry.
For example, have a look at the verb is llamar. The first conjugation chart is for the present tense. The six persons appear in the chart (the first three are the 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-person singular entries; the next three are the 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-person plural entries). So, if you want the 1st-person singular conjugation for llamar, it is (yo) llamo and the 1st person plural conjugation is (nosotros) llamamos.

Notice that each conjugation has two parts. The first part, which I wrote in parentheses above, is a subject pronoun. Yo means I. means you (informal usage). Él means he; ella means she; usted means you (formal usage). The other subject pronouns are the plural forms (nosotros (we), vosotros (ye, informal), ellos (they), ellas (they (all female)), ustedes (you, formal)).

I mentioned that the book was helping you out by giving you the reflexive pronouns. Llamarse is a reflexive verb. Llamar is not. Type in llamarse in the 'Conjugations' field and check out what changed.
There are now three parts for each conjugation. The additional piece is the reflexive pronoun that goes with each person you just learned.

The book gave you 'te' in the second sentence. So, look for that reflexive pronoun. When you find it, you'll be looking at the conjugated verb that you need for the present tense when the subject is a singular 2nd person (using a familiar (informal) address). Now find the conjugation for the other sentence (the book gave you 'me' as the reflexive pronoun).

Now, armed with the correct conjugations, you can write the second and third sentences. You can omit the subject pronouns because the reflexive pronouns and the verb endings already tell us all we need to know about the person (the subject).

Last edited by Rusty; July 11, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:47 PM
Opal

SWEET! TYVM! This has really helped me. Thank you for not giving me answers actually, helping me in the long run.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
Señor Speedy

I just added some more information. When you've digested it all, write out the first three sentences and get some more feedback.

Tags
homework, study guide

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: