Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Differences between Spain Spanish and Mexico Spanish

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Closed Thread

Old December 23, 2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

spanish learner is on a distinguished road
Differences between Spain Spanish and Mexico Spanish

Hi all, so I have not taken a Spanish course since high school and I was just wondering if you could list off some of the main differences of the Spanish spoken in Spain and the Spanish spoken in Mexico. I know the one difference is the use of "vosotros" but curiosity has gotten the best of me and now I want to know other differences and the reasons for these differences. Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 23, 2014, 04:16 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Broad topic. There are as many differences between the Spanish spoken in Mexico and the Spanish spoken in Spain as there are between British English and American English.
Non-exhaustive lists can be found on the internet.

Don't rule out the other varieties of Spanish. Each of the 21 countries where Spanish is spoken as the primary language has its own flavor. Vocabulary changes. Even the name of the language changes.

Vosotros is the plural form of , used only in Spain. Mexico uses , but not its plural form. Instead, the Mexicans use the third-person plural ustedes.
Vos replaces in several countries of Latin America, but not in Mexico. Where vos is used, they also use the third-person plural.

The conjugations for vos varies from country-to-country, as well. The variations can be found online.

There is MUCH to learn about how Spanish is spoken the world over.
Here is a page to get you started.
Old December 28, 2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

spanish learner is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much. I know there are a lot of differences just did not know if there were any huge main differences. I'll be sure to give that page a look! Thanks again!
Old December 28, 2014, 04:49 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You're welcome.
Old December 31, 2014, 10:03 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish learner View Post
Hi all, so I have not taken a Spanish course since high school and I was just wondering if you could list off some of the main differences of the Spanish spoken in Spain and the Spanish spoken in Mexico. I know the one difference is the use of "vosotros" but curiosity has gotten the best of me and now I want to know other differences and the reasons for these differences. Thanks!
Hola Spanish learner.
Interesting enough I had a neighbor from southern Spain and her Spanish was surprisingly similar to Mexican/American Spanish. If you do research on this you'll see that the experts agree with this. There are theories for this including that they think many or most Spanish speakers from Spain came from southern Spain. Also for example Cubans use a long of the expressions used in Spain including the Spanish profanity words used in Spain. When I watch movies from Spain I feel right at home because I know many Cuban profanity words and expressions that are not generally used in Mexico.
Old February 04, 2015, 09:13 PM
Ruby

Roxerz is on a distinguished road
Also the pronounciation. When I think of Spain, I think of how Enrique Inglesias sings. You'll notice any "C" sound, sound like a "TH" and the Y and LL sound more like English J sound. This is not true for all of Spain, just a generalization. Since I live in the US and there are plenty of people from Mexico, hearing Mexican Spanish sounds more normal to me even though Spanish is still a foreign language. My friend from Spain who was studying with me in Mexico would say certain words and I would start giggling instantly... Decir, ciné, corazón, gracias but now I sometimes say these words like her.

Also, I studied out of a Spain Spanish book and certain words like car and pool are used in some regions of Spain and some regions in Mexico. For example, the Mexicans here tell me coche and piscina is what Spanish say but down here they use carro and la alberca but in northern Mexico they may say auto.

Of course, all of this applies to many regions in many different countries.

Last edited by Roxerz; February 04, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: