Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Confused beginner trying to understand "lo"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old December 08, 2011, 07:40 PM
Opal

Native Language: English - Down East
k-dawg is on a distinguished road
Confused beginner trying to understand "lo"

I have been listening to audio CD's of Michel Thomas and am on the 5th CD of 8. I am comprehending almost all of it, but I seem to be confused with the application of what appears to be almost the most simplistic thing.

I think I am just confused and trying to figure where I have lost the application. I have tried going back and listening to previous CD's to find where I have gone awry to no avail.

I contribute along with the CD's and I come across a phrase and the two people in the studio say it one way and I say it another. Then I swear it switches and I do it again, except the opposite.

Just for a quick example, the context is "...hacerlo" but from listening, the correct way to say it (in the context) was "...lo hace"

I think that I am getting confused with all the "he, she, them, they, it"

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 09, 2011, 12:20 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The pronoun lo is a direct object pronoun that takes the place of a singular, masculine object (or an object whose gender is unknown). When used with an infinitive, like hacer, the pronoun is suffixed. When used with a conjugated verb, like hace, the pronoun precedes the verb.

Both 'hacerlo' and 'lo hace' depict standard usage of the direct object pronoun. The former can be translated as 'to do it' and the latter can be translated as 'does it' (third-person subject unknown, because you didn't provide one).

Pronouns can be confusing, but they'll all make sense some day if you keep at it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: