Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Spain's Human Towers

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old November 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
That's right. Did you watch the video Perikles posted at the beginning of this thread?
(I "love" the "English" /Catalonian accent of the people been interviewed... probably I laugh at them not listening to my own "Southern California twist, with Machego cheese Castilian..." (you know the Biblical saying, right? to the effect of "seeing the mote in one’s neighbor’s eye and not the beam in one’s own"...)
No vi el vídeo ayer, pero acabo de verlo.

Y en cuanto a los acentos... Varias personas en México me dijeron que "No tienes acento", así que ¡deben de tener una idea disparatada de cómo suenan los españoles!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Bueno, yo no te he oído, pero si hablas como lo hacen en Valencia y no te comes las "erres" ni las "eres" a lo mejor no van desencaminados. (Por los posts que vas poniendo veo que tienes un dominio del español muy bueno, por lo que no me sorprende que los de México digan que no tienen acento... aunque claro, sin oírte, todo son conjeturas...)
Old November 20, 2010, 12:48 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Pues a mis propios oídos sigo sonando demasiado inglés. Pero, bueno, perder todos los rasgos del acento extranjero "típico" de los hablantes de tu lengua materna ya sé que no se hace en tan sólo diez años...
Old November 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Diamond

Claro, como yo, que llevo 20 años en California... y sigo teniendo mi acento español... ya lo decía mi abuela: "Genio y figura... hasta la sepultura..."
Old November 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Pjt: Estoy de acuerdo con Pablo. Aunque puedas tener un cierto acento extranjero (que no siempre se pierde por completo), seguramente está muy por "encima" del estereotipo de las erres suaves y las vocales con diptongo.
Old November 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Really I'm stuck with this thread, because casually I have a uncle outside from Mexico and well he has around of twenty four years outside from Mexico and he's living in U.S.A in essence when I have spook with him, he can't speak well the Spanish, because I guess he has forgot the tone or the speak ways, really I don't know if one person or not loss the form speaks when is far way of his country for a long time.

For that reason I lift me stuck with this thread.
Old November 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
Diamond

Crotalito, I believe it depends on each person. I have been 21 years in Southern California... when I go back to Barcelona and speak Catalonian with people at the street or at a shop or store, nobody can recognize any "American accent at all". Same with Spanish. (There is a lady at the Spanish Consulate, LA, who despite living here for ages, she has such a thick Madrid accent, that it seems like she arrived yesterday on an Iberia flight...)

On the other hand, a friend was commenting to me how one politician went to the US to meet with the president and came back a week later talking Spanish with an American accent...

So... It is not good to generalize. But it is good to be aware.
Cheers.
Old November 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
How come you understood what he said when I didn't?
Old November 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
Diamond

I know, it is spooky sometimes how I am able to understand Crotalito... but I attribute it to my Harry Potter's abilities to speak the language of the snakes (don't forget "crotalito" is "little rattlesnake").

It is called clairvoyance, or telekinesis... or telepathy... well, something very magical, you know.

On the other hand, jokingly now, I'd say that (with no offense intended to Crotalito at all) I believe that Jorge uses Spanish grammar to build his English sentences, and even if not orthodox by any standards, I believe I can get what he means, just by the nature of his construction and word choice (i.e., a bit of false-friend type of thing.)

But this, of course, is just joking, the actual reason, is the first one I gave you, the "para-normal" phenomena that I am actually still trying to master fully...

Other than that, in an old cassette I heard 10 or 15 years ago, on "American Training Accent" they said something like, "if you want to get the correct American accent, try to speak your own language imitating the way Americans speak it, and then go back to your English... and you American friends will be amazed on how understandable you are now...) Well, there are tricks of the trade that work here and there... besides the extra/supernatural powers... of course.
Old November 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Really I'm stuck with this thread, because casually I have a uncle outside from Mexico and well he has around of twenty four years outside from Mexico and he's living in U.S.A in essence when I have spook with him, he can't speak well the Spanish, because I guess he has forgot the tone or the speak ways, really I don't know if one person or not loss the form speaks when is far way of his country for a long time.

For that reason I lift me stuck with this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Crotalito, I believe it depends on each person. I have been 21 years in Southern California... when I go back to Barcelona and speak Catalonian with people at the street or at a shop or store, nobody can recognize any "American accent at all". Same with Spanish. (There is a lady at the Spanish Consulate, LA, who despite living here for ages, she has such a thick Madrid accent, that it seems like she arrived yesterday on an Iberia flight...)

On the other hand, a friend was commenting to me how one politician went to the US to meet with the president and came back a week later talking Spanish with an American accent...

So... It is not good to generalize. But it is good to be aware.
Cheers.
The saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it", is somewhat true also in language, at least for some people, including myself. Not having been able to use my native language on a daily basis, I tend to forget some of the words and it takes some time to recall these words when I'm actually speaking to my native country folks; and they told me "you sound funny", I said great! I sound funny in America too! So now I know that I have a funny accent in whatever language I speak

All corrections are appreciated.

Last edited by vita32; November 23, 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: to add punctuation mark.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: