Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Palabra por palabra

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old January 18, 2010, 03:24 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Palabra por palabra

Word by word? Word for word?

Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:51 AM
Emerald

Ambarina is on a distinguished road
No sé si estoy en lo cierto, pero depende del contexto.

John repitió lo que dijo mi hermano anoche, palabra por palabra (exactamente lo que dijo) sería: John repeated what my brother said last night word for word.
(Mi hermano dijo: Me voy a Panama, y John dijo: Me voy a Panama).
(Es un ejemplo un poco pueril pero no estoy inspirada ahora mismo.)

Sin embargo, palabra por palabra=word by word cuando hay alguna dificultad para entender algo, memorizar. No sé si me explico.
He went through the instructions again word by word as the table from Ikea was lopsided after he'd finished putting it together!

Pero espera alguna sugerencia más de los anglos.
Old January 18, 2010, 04:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambarina View Post
Sin embargo, palabra por palabra=word by word cuando hay alguna dificultad para entender algo, memorizar. No sé si me explico.
He went through the instructions again word by for word as the table from Ikea was lopsided after he'd finished putting it together!

Pero espera alguna sugerencia más de los anglos.
I would still use "word for word" in your example. In fact, I looked at this post earlier, and have been trying to think of a situation in which I would use "word by word", and I don't think that I would really ever use that combinations of words. Of course, it makes sense. It's just not really used (that I can think of).
Old January 18, 2010, 05:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
He listened carefully to the message several times, until he was sure he had written it down word for word, and then translated it word by word, looking each one up in the dictionary.
Old January 18, 2010, 05:38 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
An alternative to word for word is verbatim
Old January 18, 2010, 06:27 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
He listened carefully to the message several times, until he was sure he had written it down word for word, and then translated it word by word, looking each one up in the dictionary.
Nope, I still wouldn't use word by word there. I would still use word for word....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
An alternative to word for word is verbatim
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Nope, I still wouldn't use word by word there. I would still use word for word....
Still thinking ... with your example, I think that I would re-phrase it altogether: "...and then translated it word by word, looking each word up in the dictionary."

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 18, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 18, 2010, 07:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I'm afraid I agree with pjt: word for word means a one-to-one correspondence between the original and the copy, in other words, identical. You then translate, moving forwards along your copied script word by word. The translation cannot actually be word for word because there is not always a one-to-one correspondence between words of the two languages.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:17 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I'm afraid I agree with pjt: word for word means a one-to-one correspondence between the original and the copy, in other words, identical. You then translate, moving forwards along your copied script word by word. The translation cannot actually be word for word because there is not always a one-to-one correspondence between words of the two languages.
Like I said - the words make sense to me when used together. And I understand the idea of one-to-one correspondence and the lack thereof in translation of language. I'm just saying that I don't know that I would ever use (or have ever heard) that phrase. Maybe it's a BrE vs. AmE thing?
Old January 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
Emerald

Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good on you, pjt33! That's exactly the message I was trying to convey but my brain was a bit slushy this morning.
Old January 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
COCA lists 45 instances of "word by word", and although a couple are not American speakers (e.g. one is a quote from an Israeli minister), the majority are not obviously not native AmE speakers. BNC lists 12 instances, and since it's a quarter of the size that doesn't suggest a widely different frequency of usage between BrE and AmE.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: