Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

American/ British English usage?

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4good View Post
Hi irmamar,
Yes, I think proximity of the country has a lot to do with it and it's logical to think that a Spaniard will have more contact with Br Eng.
However, I can assure you that every few months someone will ask me to confirm their opinion of American English being "not so good" as Br Eng., that they (Americans) don't speak very well, and to crown it all the student will say that it's not very good English because "I can't understand it" They don't seem to realise there are different regional as well as country accents, that millions of people speak American English and are doing very well in life, that one country is not "better" than another.
Likewise there are many people who only accept the British Council, where undoubtably the teaching is good, as the place to learn English much as they select clothes from Burbury or Aldolfo Dominguez, just for the name
There are hundreds of good teachers an academies in Spain and you don't need to be rich to learn English.

No es un ataque contra tí irmamar, sólo te cuento lo que pasa
Ya lo sé, no te preocupes. Y sé que hay mucha tontería, también. Aunque estoy empezando a pensar que el acento americano es más fácil de entender que el británico.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: