Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Spanish useful for work prospects?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old December 12, 2013, 08:09 PM
Opal

Gardel is on a distinguished road
Spanish useful for work prospects?

So I am in 2 minds whether or not to learn Spanish just to get me employment in England. Would it be useful at all in finding work I mean just to use on its own? is there much of a job market for it like an interpreter or something. Someone said its not very useful as too many people know it is this really accurate? please just tell me the truth I don't want people to say its useful and will get you a job if it doesn't. Thanks.

I am not expecting much just something.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I have never used Spanish in relation with my job or to help me land a job.

Knowing more than one language is certainly a good thing, but I don't think it'll get you a job. Think about all the people you know who speak more than one language. Most are not employed BECAUSE they speak more than one language. Only a few folks use more than one language as a requirement of their job.

If you want to learn Spanish in order to be an interpreter or translator, you'll need many years of schooling. Translators need to learn writing skills, unless their translations are proofed by someone else who specializes in editing. Interpreters must keep abreast of all current events and must be intimately familiar with two or more languages in addition to their mother tongue, and all associated cultures, in order to be successful. I believe translators and interpreters have thankless jobs.
Most people who have English as their mother tongue do NOT translate things into Spanish. They translate from Spanish into English.

Bottom line, knowing Spanish will not get you a job, unless the job requires Spanish.

Mostly, you'll just enjoy knowing more than one language.
You should also remember that you will forget what you don't use. So, if you take the time to learn to speak Spanish, take the time to ensure you will use it everyday.
Old December 12, 2013, 10:20 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Rusty's comments are spot on: most jobs do not require a second language as a mandatory skill; the few that do include foreign language teacher, translator, interpreter, or a provider of customer service for an organization whose customers include many people who do not speak English very well.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:00 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Spanish is one of the world's mega-languages. Fluency in Spanish will be extremely helpful for any job that requires communication between your country, Spain and Latin America.
Old December 13, 2013, 02:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardel View Post
So I am in 2 minds whether or not to learn Spanish just to get me employment in England. Would it be useful at all in finding work I mean just to use on its own? is there much of a job market for it like an interpreter or something.
The real job market for people who can translate into English is in Brussels and Strasbourg. They're having to employ non-native speakers to translate into English, against usual convention, because there aren't enough native speakers who speak another language well.
Old December 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I subscribe Rusty's statements...

I have a friend who is fluent in English, French, Spanish, Catalan, Italian... and he is getting a hang of Chinese... and so he is able to do business with a lot of people... But he is a genius... (In my view...)

The rest of us "poor" mortals... just enjoy learning every day... ;-)
Old December 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
Ruby

Mozzo is on a distinguished road
I can't speculate for Britain, but in the USA knowing Spanish is helpful as a "fallback" skill in the event your professional career ends and you need to take entry level employment to get by. Many customer service jobs (cashier, telephone support) will specify it as a requirment.

Last edited by Mozzo; December 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old December 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardel View Post
So I am in 2 minds whether or not to learn Spanish just to get me employment in England. Would it be useful at all in finding work I mean just to use on its own? is there much of a job market for it like an interpreter or something. Someone said its not very useful as too many people know it is this really accurate? please just tell me the truth I don't want people to say its useful and will get you a job if it doesn't. Thanks.

I am not expecting much just something.
In California they need nurses and doctor who are bilingual in Spanish.
They need Bank tellers, cashiers, court interpreters etc. etc. that are bilingual. This one Filipina nurse told me that when she went for a job interview for a nurse the first thing they asked her was if she spoke Spanish. She said it was very necessary to be bilingual in Los Angeles, California. I've had many people in different professions tell me the same story. One Afro friend of mine said the only way he got this one job was because he spoke Spanish. Think about it logically. If there are two people more or less igually qualitfied for a job they will take the bilingual Spanish speaker.
Old January 06, 2014, 11:48 PM
Opal

Mapache is on a distinguished road
I can't speak for the UK but in the US it is quite useful in large cities due to the growing number of Spanish speakers inhabiting those areas, many of whom prefer to speak Spanish. However, this is mainly for customer service type jobs. I imagine in more specialized fields it's not as crucial.
Old January 08, 2014, 02:14 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English, Russian, Hebrew
Valeria is on a distinguished road
Eso tambien depende donde usted vive. En Israel, veo muchos trabajos cuál requeren idioma ruso, a pesar de que el lenguaje ruso no es una idioma oficial en Israel (solo hebreo, inglés y árabe son idiomas oficials en Israel ). Por ejemplo, esta ventaja granda por enfermeras, doctors, empleados del gobierno, y en esencia todos cuál tienen tratos con turistas.

Aparte de eso, otro lenguaje siempre ve bien en une CV (resumen).

Last edited by Valeria; January 08, 2014 at 02:27 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: