Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture


Qué onda?!Mexican Spanish vs Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America

 

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 06, 2010, 04:50 PM
Villa's Avatar
Villa Villa is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Corona, California
Posts: 879
Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Qué onda?!Mexican Spanish vs Spanish from Spain and Spanish from Latin America

How does your dialect of Spanish compare to Mexican Spanish?
Here in California we have Hispanics from all 21 Spanish speaking countries including some
200,000 Cubans, muchos Salvadoreños, Central Americans in general and many from South
America but most are Mexicans with their brand of Spanish which is the norm. Most of the
people from other Spanish speaking countries here in California learn Mexican Spanish. Many
Latin Americans marry Mexicans or have Mexican members in their family. For example a couple
from Ecuador I know have both of their childrenmarried to Mexicans. The Mexicans also learn
how the other Spanish speakers speak even if they don't use their particular expressions.

The following are an example of Mexican Spanish or Mexican slang. Do you understand them?
How is your dialect of Spanish different?Pardon the language on some of them but it's all for
educations purposes.Not suggesting you use some of the more colorful terms. (Note that any
educated Mexican can speak standard Spanish as well as anybody else in the Hispanic world.)

¡Andale pues! ¡Híjole! ¡Orale! Qué dismadre! ¡Me vale! ¡Un chingo de cosas! ¡Ni modo!
Esta música está muy padre. El chamaco está cortando el zacate. Quita tu pince cara de aquí!
Chinga tu pinche madre! Es una guera muy guapa. Voy a nadar en la alberca ahorita. Necesito
un popote. Ese chango. Orale güey! No le hace. ¡Pinche cabrón! ¡Carajo! El me cae sangrón.
Baboso. El burro hablando de orejas. El me cae gordo. Mamacita, que buena esta usted!
No hay bronca. Tu eres mi cuate. Pendejo. atole, elote, guacamole, mole, pozole, tequila,
milpa, jitomate, aguacate, cacahuate, camote, chile, capulin, mecae, papalote,

Yo como menudo a menudo.

The verb coger in Mexico means to make love or have sex. (f*ck pues) In Cuba coger is simply
the verb for "take" in English. In Mexico they use the verb agarrar for coger. Coger is like "screw"
in English for Mexicans. It can be quite comical when Cubans and Mexicans get together.

Last edited by Villa; April 06, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #2  
Old April 06, 2010, 06:16 PM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,150
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
How does your dialect of Spanish compare to Mexican Spanish?
Here in California we have Hispanics from all 21 Spanish speaking countries including some
200,000 Cubans, muchos Salvadoreños, Central Americans in general and many from South
America but most are Mexicans with their brand of Spanish which is the norm. Most of the
people from other Spanish speaking countries here in California learn Mexican Spanish. Many
Latin Americans marry Mexicans or have Mexican members in their family. For example a couple
from Ecuador I know have both of their childrenmarried to Mexicans. The Mexicans also learn
how the other Spanish speakers speak even if they don't use their particular expressions.

The following are an example of Mexican Spanish or Mexican slang. Do you understand them?
How is your dialect of Spanish different?Pardon the language on some of them but it's all for
educations purposes.Not suggesting you use some of the more colorful terms. (Note that any
educated Mexican can speak standard Spanish as well as anybody else in the Hispanic world.)

¡Andale pues! ¡Híjole! ¡Orale! Qué dismadre! ¡Me vale! ¡Un chingo de cosas! ¡Ni modo!
Esta música está muy padre. El chamaco está cortando el zacate. Quita tu pince cara de aquí!
Chinga tu pinche madre! Es una guera muy guapa. Voy a nadar en la alberca ahorita. Necesito
un popote. Ese chango. Orale güey! No le hace. ¡Pinche cabrón! ¡Carajo! El me cae sangrón.
Baboso. El burro hablando de orejas. El me cae gordo. Mamacita, que buena esta usted!
No hay bronca. Tu eres mi cuate. Pendejo. atole, elote, guacamole, mole, pozole, tequila,
milpa, jitomate, aguacate, cacahuate, camote, chile, capulin, mecae, papalote,

Yo como menudo a menudo.

The verb coger in Mexico means to make love or have sex. (f*ck pues) In Cuba coger is simply
the verb for "take" in English. In Mexico they use the verb agarrar for coger. Coger is like "screw"
in English for Mexicans. It can be quite comical when Cubans and Mexicans get together.
Some of those expressions and words are internationally known among
Spanish speakers. Where I am from the predominant Spanish spoken is from the Caribbean. Each island has its individual accent and their own "bad words" which sometimes cause misunderstandings that can be funny but may provoke fights (papaya is tropical fruit in Puerto rico but not in Cuba unless you're being metaphorical. Papo is a respectful term for a mature man in Santo Domingo, but not in Coastal Colombia. In coastal Colombia chicha is a cooling drink, but not in Puerto Rico). THere are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans too--many of whom stick to themselves. It's fun to identify accents.
__________________
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.
  #3  
Old April 06, 2010, 07:53 PM
Villa's Avatar
Villa Villa is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Corona, California
Posts: 879
Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Some of those expressions and words are internationally known among
Spanish speakers. Where I am from the predominant Spanish spoken is from the Caribbean.
Each island has its individual accent and their own "bad words" which sometimes cause
misunderstandings that can be funny but may provoke fights (papaya is tropical fruit in
Puerto rico but not in Cuba unless you're being metaphorical. Papo is a respectful term
for a mature man in Santo Domingo, but not in Coastal Colombia. In coastal Colombia chicha
is a cooling drink, but not in Puerto Rico). THere are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans too--many
of whom stick to themselves. It's fun to identify accents.
Muy interesante poli. Dialects are what most interest me. In Cuba Concha is a girls name.
In Argentina concha mean pussy.

By the way. I've been to Cuba two times and have been dealing with Cubans for casi 40 años.
It's amazing how different the Cubans from Havana speak compared to the Cubans in Oriente
the other extreme of the island.(Cuba is 600 miles long.)The accent is surprisingly diferente
as our some expressions. Para ejemplo in oriente papaya does not mean pussy as it does in
La Havana and probablemente half or more of Cuba.

Last edited by Villa; April 06, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
  #4  
Old April 06, 2010, 08:46 PM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Concha is the alias or short for Concepción, a girl's name. In Spain and everywhere else, that i know of.

Concha also means some other things. :-)
  #5  
Old April 07, 2010, 02:56 AM
explorator's Avatar
explorator explorator is offline
Pearl
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Spain
Posts: 137
Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
I've herard Mexican speakers a Spanish extremely similar to ours, it only differed slightly in entonation and of course in the pronunciation of c/z. About the phrases you wrote, I can understand some words, but I make no sense of most of them. Probably you won't be able to understand some slang phrases used mostly by young people, military (mainly at the Legion), or lower class people eg: "encalamé el raca allí", "me han cicuatado el peluco", or the probably most frecuent young people expresión "guay".

PS: Nowadays we have here a lot of American-Spanish speakers living in Spain, and we have learned that we should not use the verb "coger", in front of them. It is very funy becouse for us that verb is absolutely neutral. Something similar happens with the word "concha", by the way a very common female name here in Spain.

Last edited by explorator; April 07, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
  #6  
Old April 07, 2010, 04:00 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't use "coger" in their country (conciously ), but I use this word in mine (¡faltaría más!). They must know that this verb is commonly used here with the sense of "take". I work with two Venezuelan people and although they say "agarrar", I always tell them "coger". I can learn others' way of speaking, but it's a mistake to change my own way (in my opinion).
  #7  
Old April 08, 2010, 11:50 AM
Villa's Avatar
Villa Villa is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Corona, California
Posts: 879
Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I wouldn't use "coger" in their country (conciously ), but I use this word in mine (¡faltaría más!). They must know that this verb is commonly used here with the sense of "take". I work with two Venezuelan people and although they say "agarrar", I always tell them "coger". I can learn others' way of speaking, but it's a mistake to change my own way (in my opinion).
Cuando estes en Roma haga como los Romanos. When in Rome do as the Romans do. When I'm with
Mexicans I try to talk like them. When I'm with Cubans or anyother Hispanic people I try to talk
like them. It's about being bi-dialectical or multi-dialectical.
Closed Thread

Bookmark this thread at:

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perception of Castillan/"Spain" Spanish by Latin Americans? satchrocks Culture 47 September 29, 2012 12:36 AM
Latin American and European Spanish Dodge Culture 51 June 11, 2010 02:20 AM
More Spanish speakers in the U.S. than in Spain!!!! Villa Culture 16 March 02, 2010 12:44 PM
Study Spanish in Latin America MrWednesday General Chat 0 April 27, 2009 03:41 AM
Mexican Spanish and "Spanish" Spanish Jessica General Chat 3 February 16, 2009 08:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X