*lucid
*posthumous
*prim
*sardonic
*superfluous
*supplant
*taunt
*tenacious

1. The huge piles of snow that cover the roads will greatly hamper the efforts of the rescue team to reach the stranded skiers.
2. When the stock market collapsed in 1929, many wealthy speculators found themselves as impoverished as proverbial church mice.
3. A student who is diligent and systematic in study habits will often do better than one who is brilliant but lazy.
4. For thousands of years Native Americans used stone implements to hew canoes out of logs and tree trunks.
5. Lincoln said: "Familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage and you prepare your own limbs to wear them."
6. A woman of strong character and noble bearing, she endured the jobes and _____________ of her adversaries with great patience and fortitude.
7. I shall never forget the ghastly sight that greeted us when we arrived at the scene of the accident.
8. Although the survivors were still in a state of shock, some of them were taunted enough to answer the questions posed by the police.
9. "Since their heroic deeds clearly speak for themselves," the president remarked, "further comment on my part would be ___________."
10. I know that he will say anything to save his own skin, but I feel that in this case his account of the incident is credible and should be accepted.
11. He is a rather prim sort of man whose sensibilities are easily shocked by other people's less exacting standards of conduct.
12. "Someone with such a(n) tenacious grip on life doesn't give up the ghost easily," I thought as I watched the old man's struggle to stay alive.
13. I suppose bloodhounds may be as happy as other dogs, but they have the doleful look of creatures who have lost their last friend.
14. In a touching scene on the steps of the Capitol, the president awarded posthumous Medals of Honor to soldiers who had recently fallen in defence of the country.
15. The wily old senator derived a certain amount of sardonic amusement from watching his enemies turn on and destroy one another.
16. Our football team would do a great deal better if we mastered a few simple plays, instead of trying to use all those intricate formations.
17. Since my home is located at a busy intersection, I have been forced to accustom myself to the incessant hum of traffic outside.
18. During World War II, artificial rubber began to supplant natural rubber in American automobile tires.
19. Saying "I'm sorry" is a good way to begin to atone for the suffering or harm that you have done to another person.
20. To help defray the expenses that I would incur on the senior class trip to Washington, I worked as a baby-sitter.

I am stuck with #6 and #9, but can you please check the other ones first? Then I might know what fits in them. Thanks.

I also have a question... would intricate and lucid be antonyms? they are not in each other's antonym list but they have the opposite meaning...
another question: both prim and tenacious' antonym list contain lax....what is the difference?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Number 8 contains the wrong word. All the rest that you've completed are correct.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:30 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
okay I will try to find another word that fits.

8. Although the survivors were still in a state of shock, some of them were lucid enough to answer the questions posed by the police.

Lucid would go in there, right?

6. A woman of strong character and noble bearing, she endured the jobes and taunts of her adversaries with great patience and fortitude

9. "Since their heroic deeds clearly speak for themselves," the president remarked, "further comment on my part would be superflouous."

I got #6 and #9 now.

Last edited by Rusty; December 10, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:38 PM
Señor Speedy

Good job.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:47 PM

thanks I'm actually good at vocabulary words now...in 7th grade wasn't so good but in 8th grade and now I used flashcards and it actually helped.the 9th grade tests are completely different from 8th grade and worth more points but they seem a bit easier.
also, with this website I can actually get all the problems right...and I own the book and that's good because you can write in it. last year you couldn't write in it and you didn't have the option to buy it.

Last edited by Jessica; December 10, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 12, 2008, 05:54 AM

I need someone to answer my questions...
I also have a question... would intricate and lucid be antonyms? they are not in each other's antonym list but they have the opposite meaning...
another question: both prim and tenacious' antonym list contain lax....what is the difference? Maybe lax have 2 meanings....prim and tenacious are not the same.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:06 AM
Señor Speedy

Intricate and lucid are not opposites, so I wouldn't expect them to be in each other's antonym list.
Lax is an antonym of prim, especially when not stiff or not precise is the implied meaning. Lax is also an antonym of tenacious, when the implied meaning is not persistent. Prim and tenacious are not synonyms, as you pointed out, but the respective opposites that I listed are synonyms of the word lax. In other words, prim and tenacious can share a common antonym. This is not unusual.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:35 PM

ok thanks I understand now.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: