Old April 09, 2011, 09:04 AM
Opal

pia is on a distinguished road
Hola Amigos

oh boy, am i happy to find you guys. i've been taking spanish these last 8 months and its a whole different ball game esp. since i am not trying to translate and learn.

i am loving learning the language as it gives me such a glimpse of the culture.

The song Labios Compartidos, by Maná, is the one that got me hooked on spanish. when i first translated it in english (i was a beginner then and needed to translate) it sounded very cheesy but oh my goodness - the emotions they expressed. i cant imagine a song in english being able to express emotion in this way.

Last edited by Rusty; April 09, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Removed link, added song title and name of band

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 09, 2011, 09:09 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pia View Post
oh boy, am i happy to find you guys. i've been taking spanish these last 8 months and its a whole different ball game esp. since i am not trying to translate and learn.

i am loving learning the language as it gives me such a glimpse of the culture.

The song Labios Compartidos, by Maná, is the one that got me hooked on spanish. when i first translated it in english (i was a beginner then and needed to translate) it sounded very cheesy but oh my goodness - the emotions they expressed. i cant imagine a song in english being able to express emotion in this way.
Entonces si ya dejaste la etapa de traducir, por qué no escribes directamente en castellano? Te aseguro que vamos a entender.

Bienvenida a los foros y que disfrutes tu estancia aquí.

Last edited by Rusty; April 09, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: changed quotation to match edits
Old April 09, 2011, 09:22 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Entonces si ya dejaste la etapa de traducir, por qué no escribes directamente en castellano? Te aseguro que vamos a entender.
aye aye aye. porque encuentro muy dificil hablo y escribe directamente en castellano. i dont want to think in english and then translate. doesnt mean i am a pro at it. just making my life difficult by trying to avoid using 'google translate'.
Old April 09, 2011, 09:36 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Welcome from me. Thanks for the song.
Old April 09, 2011, 09:43 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
¡aye, aye, aye! Porque encuentro muy difícil hablar y escribir directamente en castellano.
¡Bienvenida a los foros!
Espero no te molesten las correcciones.
Old April 09, 2011, 10:09 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
¡Bienvenida a los foros!
Espero no te molesten las correcciones.
muchas gracias. no absolutely not. THAT is why i am here. duh. the first rule of grammar i had forgotten. all subsequent verbs are in 'infinitivo forma'.

so if i wrote a sentence like this,

anoche despues me comí la cena, me fui a dar un paseo y llegó a casa y se dio una ducha.

i would still conjugate all the verbs after comer right?!!!
Old April 09, 2011, 10:52 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The 'subsequent verbs' you spoke of are actually verbals (the infinitive being one of the verbals). They aren't verbs, but act as nouns, adjectives, or adverbs. The Spanish infinitive is the equivalent of the English gerund, which is a verbal that acts as a noun.

'Después de' is the translation of 'after' in the last sentence you posted. This is an adverb of time, so you can use a verbal after it. For example, 'Anoche, después de comer(me) la cena ...'.
'Dar un paseo' is a set phrase. You can conjugate the verb and still use the set phrase. For example, 'di un paseo'. Your sentence says, "I left to go for a walk." There's nothing wrong with the way you wrote it.
I wouldn't continue the sentence with the conjunction 'y' after that. I would start a new sentence, like 'When I returned home ...'. You used the wrong person in 'arrived'. The last phrase you wrote should use either 'tomar una ducha' or 'ducharse'. If the last suggestion is used, make sure the correct person is considered (your sentence had an incorrect person for that part, too).
Does this help?
Old April 09, 2011, 01:08 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Welcome.
Old April 09, 2011, 01:45 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
SpaTeach14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
aye aye aye. porque encuentro muy dificil hablo y escribe directamente en castellano. i dont want to think in english and then translate. doesnt mean i am a pro at it. just making my life difficult by trying to avoid using 'google translate'.
Using Google Translate is really not the best thing to do anyways. Although it is correct a lot of the time, it has its problems. Using a regular dictionary is generally best when translating something. And I know what you mean about not wanting to have to think of it in English to translate it to Spanish. I study with the mind concept of not wanting to have to think of the word in English first as well, which generally works pretty well. But sometimes it helps to think of what you want to say and write first. At least, sometimes it works better for me. But I do still enjoy speaking Spanish much more when I do not have to think about what I am trying to say in English first. Good luck on your studying.
Old April 09, 2011, 02:56 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah, ok. Please don't use a translator, just use a dictionary English-Spanish/Spanish-English.

The big mistake I see people doing in trying to learn another language is that immediately they want to translate from their language to the other. The results, one cannot even start to imagine if it even near ok. Why? Because they don't know the other language. It is that simple, but despite being so simple, people do not see that.

If you want to learn Spanish, start translating from Spanish to English, because the latter is your native language. You will immediately see if there is something wrong with your phrase which does not make sense or whatever. That, in itself does NOT guarantee the phrase will be correctly translated though, but with practice you get closer to your goal, which is to learn Spanish and eventually you won't have any problems with the language.

And I say "eventually" meaning in short time and not YEARS. It is all a matter of practicing and listening to conversation, movies etc.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: