Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

English practice - travelling around Europe

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old March 03, 2013, 10:28 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
English practice - travelling around Europe

Hello to all,
in order to have some English writing practice, I'll shortly talk about the journeys I took in these last years. Corrections are welcome.

------

Rome is very popular all over the world, and many people choose it as their holiday destination. Because of traffic, pollution and poor city planning, though, it is not a very pleasant city to live in. Every time I can, I move away from Rome and travel in Italy and Europe, not in other continents because I don't like long airplane flights. In 2008 I went to Zagreb, Croatia, to visit some friends; in 2010 I went to Paris to visit my sister, who lives and work there; in 2012 I went to London with a friend. London is an enormous city and often we had trouble in finding the correct routes through it: once we went four times back and forth on the same bus!!

I often travel around Italy, also. I'm an experienced chess player and often play tournaments outside Rome. Quite often, these tournaments are played in beautiful places: for example, last June I played in a beautiful city on the mountains of Alto Adige, a German-speaking region near the northern border.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 03, 2013, 11:17 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Hello to all,
In order to have some English writing practice, I'll shortly talk about the journeys I took in these last years. Corrections are welcome.

------

Rome is very popular all over the world, and many people choose it as their holiday destination. Because of traffic, pollution and poor city planning, though, it is not a very pleasant city to live in. Every time I can, I leave Rome and travel in Italy and Europe. I don't travel to other continents because I don't like long airplane flights. In 2008, I went to Zagreb, Croatia, to visit some friends. In 2010, I went to Paris to visit my sister, who lives and works there. In 2012, I went to London with a friend. London is an enormous city and we often had trouble in finding the correct routes through it; once we went four times back and forth on the same bus!!

I often travel around Italy, also. I'm an experienced chess player and often play in tournaments outside of Rome. Quite often, these tournaments are played in beautiful places; for example, last June I played in a beautiful city in the mountains of Alto Adige, a German-speaking region near the northern border.
Nice story.
Old March 03, 2013, 11:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Pretty good! The only comments I have are 1) on other continents (not in, though you say in Africa, not on it) and 2) who lives and works there.

Edit: Cross-posting with Rusty, who sees different corrections necessary

Last edited by Perikles; March 03, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old March 04, 2013, 06:28 AM
Ruby

Thank you Rusty and Perikles for the corrections. Your replies were almost contemporary: Perikles' reply came just one minute after Rusty's one!!

I'm glad that this time I made less mistakes than in my previous posts. "My sister lives and work" is evidently a mistake caused by distraction. You corrected the expression "move away from Rome" because it means leaving Rome for good, I guess?

Would the sentence "I travel in Italy and Europe, but not to other continents" have been correct?

Last edited by wayfarer; March 04, 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: I wrote "that" instead of than!!
Old March 04, 2013, 07:35 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I'm glad that this time I made less mistakes than in my previous posts.
Fewer mistakes. Lots of English native speakers get this wrong. Fewer of something countable, less of a singular.

There are fewer people here than yesterday
There is less of a crowd here than yesterday

Fewer problems, less hassle

Quote:
You corrected the expression "move away from Rome" because it means leaving Rome for good, I guess?
Yes, or at least for a long time. "get away" would imply a short absence.

Quote:
Would the sentence "I travel in Italy and Europe, but not to other continents" have been correct?
Not really, it sounds wrong to me without repeating 'travel'. I would say "within", not "in".

I travel within Italy and Europe, but I don't travel to other continents.
Old March 04, 2013, 08:36 AM
Ruby

Thank you for the further explanations, Perikles, I'll take note of them. I didn't know about the difference between "less" and "fewer", and I didn't know that verbs have to be repeated when there is a "but" clause, in my language it is different.
Old March 04, 2013, 09:28 AM
Diamond

Quote:
and I didn't know that verbs have to be repeated when there is a "but" clause, in my language it is different.
No, no, that is not a rule. I like apples but not bananas. I think my objection is related to the collocations "travel within" and "travel to". Because these prepositions need to go immediately after the verb, it sounds odd if the second verb is missing. Having said that, my wife disagrees with me and claims that you are correct on that point. On the other hand, she is Irish.

Now I'm unsure. More input needed.
Old March 04, 2013, 03:32 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
... corrected the expression "move away from Rome" because it means leaving Rome for good, I guess? (Yes.)

Colloquially, I think everyone would understand this, even though Perikles' argument is indeed valid. There is a difference between 'travel around' and 'travel to'. Both are phrasal verbs, meaning that both the verb and the preposition constitute the verb.
If you were to use 'travel to' in the first clause, then the 'but not to' phrase would be perfectly fine. But, since you're already in Italy, you can't travel to it, so you must choose other wording.

I travel around Italy and (other countries in) Europe, but I don't travel to other continents.
Old March 04, 2013, 04:32 PM
Ruby

Thanks Rusty, now it is clear, when there is the same verb, but there are different prepositions, the verb has to be repeated. Another example can be: finally we decided not to walk to the park, but just to walk around the neighbourhood.
Old March 04, 2013, 04:49 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Another example can be: finally we decided not to walk to the park, but just to walk around the neighbourhood.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: