Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Perception of Castillan/"Spain" Spanish by Latin Americans?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old August 10, 2009, 01:21 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecile83 View Post
Hello Irmamar,
I always felt that true Spanish is the Spanish from Spain. It is the Castellan (or Castilian). As once called "La lengua de los Reyes Catolicos" o "La lengua de Cervantes". Whatever type of Spanish spoken now in other parts of the world are just adaptations of the true language. Nothing wrong with it's just that other ethnicities or with different cultural backgrounds have added their ways of pronouncing it; be it the right way or the wrong way. The same thing happens other languages like American English and British English, Canadian French or the French from France, etc. Once that specific language is taught in another country it's not the "Real McCoy" anymore.
Someone once told me that if I really wanted to learn a language I should learn it where it originated. I find that to very true. But not everyone can travel to Spain and spend time there unless you have to or are finacially comfortable to live there for a while. I know if I could, I'd be there now
It's probably true about other languages, but there's nothing like the true Spanish (from Spain) when spoken the proper way. Viva Espana!

However, you have to understand that it isn't exactly the same way Spanish and English was spoken in the 1500's. Hence so much for the theory of going to where the language originated...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English/Ingles
satchrocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
However, you have to understand that it isn't exactly the same way Spanish and English was spoken in the 1500's. Hence so much for the theory of going to where the language originated...
Es verdar. Nadie en el mundo de anglófonos usan las palabras como Shakespeare; aunque la lengua es muy bonita, ya no está. (A vez quiero ingles podría mas fomral, por que tiene muchos argotes).
Old March 11, 2010, 02:21 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
Unicamente me acuerdo de un caso en el que se tuvo que subtitular a los atletas cubanos que participaban en una olimpiada, dado que de otro modo no se los podía entender.
Por otra parte, he leido en youtube, comentarios de personas que se quejaban del doblaje al castellano de un trailer de un film norteamericano, calificándolo como falto de atractivo y estéticamente inferior al que llamaban en general "latino".

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchrocks View Post
Es verdad. Nadie en el mundo de los anglófonos usa las palabras como Shakespeare; aunque esa lengua era muy bonita, ya no existe. (A la vez me gustaría que el inglés fuera mas formal, por que tiene muchos argots).

¿Mejor así?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; March 11, 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old April 05, 2010, 03:20 AM
Pearl

To sumarize, I'd like to say that in most parts of Spain we are able to use the sounds (s) and (th), although in some parts of Andalusia, there are some people who pronounce always the sound (th) where they should pronounce (s), getting a very caracteistic and funy speech. Also in some parts of Andalusia and in the Canary Islands (where they speak a dialect almost identical to the Caribean Spanish),some people pronounce the sound (s) where they should pronounce (th), as in the American Spanish. From my point of view, the main problem of this are the speelling mistakes. Because as all the words containing the combination of letters ce, ci, cy ,za, ze, zi, zo, zu, zy, sa, se, si, so, su, sy, are pronounced (sa, se, si, so, su), sometimes we can read, mainly in American Spanish, texts whith this kind of speelling mistakes very unusual in Spain.

PS:
I'd like to include among the best pronouncers of the Casitillan Spanish to the Valencian Spanish speakers. Although Valencia has got a vernacular tongue: the Valencian, mainly spoken at the coast, the inner lands are mostly Castillan speakers, and they speak such a good Spanish that the most important dubbing actors in Spain are Valencian (eg: Ramón Langa or José Sancho).

Last edited by explorator; April 05, 2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old April 05, 2010, 10:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
As far as I know, more than a half of dubbing Spanish actors are from Catalonia.
Old April 06, 2010, 10:49 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
As far as I know, more than a half of dubbing Spanish actors are from Catalonia.
The best Spanish language professors used to teach in Catalonia too. But do you think they would like to teach there now?
The best dubbing actors in Spain had to go to Catalonia, because there were the dubbing studios. The dubbing studios won't last much more time in Catalonia, at least dubbing into Spanish, I'm afraid.

Last edited by explorator; April 06, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old April 07, 2010, 04:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Time will tell...
Old September 29, 2012, 12:36 AM
Opal

MomoEnds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
I have a friend here who is was born in D.F. and she told me that she had a horrible time understanding spoken Spanish in certain regions of Spain.

But heck, I have trouble understanding people from certain areas of my own country. Mississippi and Louisiana come to mind. I also met a guy here from Scotland, and I have to concentrate very hard to follow along when he's speaking at a normal pace.
Well i daré you to visit Liverpool and talk to a genuine scouser, them you tell su all if you understand anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorator View Post
The best Spanish language professors used to teach in Catalonia too. But do you think they would like to teach there now?
The best dubbing actors in Spain had to go to Catalonia, because there were the dubbing studios. The dubbing studios won't last much more time in Catalonia, at least dubbing into Spanish, I'm afraid.
Honey the best known university is in Zaragoza, the best actors go to Madrid to the official school or Cristina rota's, if you want to study arts you go to Barcelona and if you want to be a theatre actor or study performing arts you go to Barcelona. And if you wanted to be a dub actor you could choose between those two. Second i know that subtitled films improve english level but, have you ever watch a film subtitled and realise you have missed have of the actor's performance? The problem is that it is now compulsory to show x% per cent of the movies dubbed in catalán and the production como any wont pay dub actors for a film that is going to be seen by just on one big city!!

Last edited by Rusty; September 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts

Tags
dialect, iberia, lisp, spain, spanish

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: