Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Modo subjuntivo

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 02, 2011, 01:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereger View Post
sorry if the tenses in English are not so well done, but It's not my native language and its really hard for me to compare Spanish with English...
What is your native language? That information is paramount being forums sort of collective organisms that have some experience to deal with typical problems from groups of students of different native languages. No forum member here and anywhere should keep that a secret and there is a special feature in your profile to state that clearly. The practical outcome of hiding your native language or declaring your location to be "The World" or "Planet Zhandia" is less answers, shorter answers, and being ignored in the long run.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 02, 2011, 02:46 PM
Ruby

wereger is on a distinguished road
well my native language is Bulgarian.. and since we don't have forums like this I'm using what I find in English .. plus no language can adjust to the other 1 to 1.... English grammer is way too different than the Spanish no that I have ever learned it that great anyway ......
Old April 02, 2011, 04:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Very good, then! Anyway I suppose your understanding of English is better than your understanding of Spanish, am I wrong? I say this in order to choose the better language in our explanations.

A quick look up tells me that Bulgarian does have subjunctive mood -even an inferential mood unknown to me- but by the general explanations I read it looks like it is less extended than Spanish subjunctive and overlapped with Spanish conditional, besides some original features Spanish doesn't have (what would justify some way of not getting it 100% that native English teachers and students don't use to show).

I'm going to comment now about some issues that caught my attention while reading your posts on this subject: first, and excessive attention about Spanish subjunctive and likelihood, the certainty-uncertainly axis that many English speakers use to get fixated with during a while, and by other hand, a continuous attraction for the use of Spanish future simple indicative expressing conjecture, and its extension to other futures and conditional -this, I haven't seen it used by English speakers, so I supposed it resembles some structure of Bulgarian, or teaching Spanish there has adopted some style that uses it-.

So I'd like to suggest to you that you tell us what are you learning these days and focus on that besides some sort of taking stock about what you really know about why subjunctive -not how subjunctive-. It has looked to me like your professor is throwing subjunctive over her students with a shovel, the old way of throwing the kids into the water to force them to learn to swim quickly. Sometimes it has worked ... for those who didn't get drowned.
Old April 07, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ruby

wereger is on a distinguished road
well you know how is it with teachers... So many thing to learn, so little time to do it
yes, I understand better in English .. We do have a subjuntive but our grammer does not have explanation for it.. It is something that you have to learn not understand....

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: